We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy cheap cooler/food between Edmonton and Jasper

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy cheap cooler/food between Edmonton and Jasper

Will be flying into Edmonton and driving down to Jasper and want to find a place to pick up a cheap cooler and snacks for our week in Jasper. Are there Walmarts or Targets in Edmonton to pick up supplies for the week? Thanks

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy cheap cooler/food between Edmonton and Jasper

No Targets, but yes, there are Walmarts. Of the ones in the city, the one in West Edmonton is probably the most convenient (Stony Plain road, it's also a Supercentre location), but there is also one in Edson (about halfway between Edmonton and Jasper) and another in Hinton (one hour from Jasper). Here is their website, with addresses of their stores:

edmonton.flyerland.ca/storelocator.php…

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy cheap cooler/food between Edmonton and Jasper

There are quite a few Walmarts in the Edmonton area, there is one in South Edmonton common, it's a supercentre. It is also located close to the Airport and the Anthony Henday road which will bypass the city and take you to the transcanada west to Jasper.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy cheap cooler/food between Edmonton and Jasper

Good point, Suzanne... I'd forgotten about that one! (Wonder why it's not listed on the site I linked?) Here is info for the OP:

southedmontoncommon.com/index.php/…

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy cheap cooler/food between Edmonton and Jasper

Thanks for the information. This will help a lot.

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy cheap cooler/food between Edmonton and Jasper

There is also a Walmart in Edson, about half way to Jasper.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy cheap cooler/food between Edmonton and Jasper

The walmart in Edson does not sell groceries! I discovered that on my trip thru there last summer as I had forgot a few essentials for our weekend camping trip. Luckily there is a Safeway and

IGA close by.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy cheap cooler/food between Edmonton and Jasper

Sorry for any confusion meant to specify that the Hinton Walmart doesn't sell groceries! Never tried at the newer Edson store.

Thx

Edited: 11 August 2011, 05:06
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy cheap cooler/food between Edmonton and Jasper

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are currently in Canada and were able to obtain our cooler in Edmonton at the Walmart near the airport as suggested by the second responder. It was a super Walmart very much like the ones I am use to in the USA, even came with screaming toddlers to complete the Walmart shopping experience. :) Having bought lunch meats and snacks has cut down on the food costs as eating out is very expensive in these tourist places.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy cheap cooler/food between Edmonton and Jasper

Hmmm we were there recently, its quite possible that one of the screaming kids was mine! lol. hope you have a great time here.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy cheap cooler/food between Edmonton and Jasper

Just to clarify:

Edmonton is getting a number of Target stores. This is due to Target's purchase of Zellers from the Bay (Hudson's Bay), and most of the stores in Canada are being rebranded to the Target name. If I am not mistaken, one of the first to be completed, which is very soon, is on the west end of the city on Stony Plain Road, which would be considered "on the way" to Jasper.

However, any of the Walmarts or even a (President's Choice) Superstore would suffice to meet your needs. I personally prefer the PC Superstore shopping myself.