We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need birthday suggestions for edmonton or area

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
need birthday suggestions for edmonton or area

looking for something to do in or around edmonton for a few hours or overnight for a lady's birthday - two sisters would be going. keeping the cost around $200 - next week. we live and grew up in edmonton...running out of ideas. she's not sporty or too adventurous. enjoys scenary, good food (especially chocolate), doesn't drink alcohol, enjoys scenic, flat walks, nothing at stage west right now...is the river boat queen at all interesting...could go out of town overnight but no more then a 2 hour drive - maybe a cabin on a lake for a night??? we've done calgary, banff and jasper many times and not interested in that as we'd only have one night.. i know limited....any suggestions on things to do or unique restaurants. maybe i should consider the melting pot restaurant for desert as she does love chocolate! thanks

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need birthday suggestions for edmonton or area

I think The Melting Pot is a great idea - you could have your whole dinner there, if you like. I haven't been, but have heard good things about it. And if she loves chocolate, why not??

Would she enjoy a mani/pedi and/or a spa treatment beforehand? Shopping somewhere new and interesting?

That's a tough one!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need birthday suggestions for edmonton or area

Does she like gardening?

watergarden.ca/water-garden/the-enjoy-centre/

http://www.greenlandgarden.com/

Both are more an experience than just garden centres.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need birthday suggestions for edmonton or area

I've heard good things about Pampa Brazilian Steak House...it's an experience onto itself sort of place.

urbanspoon.com/r/131/1570190/restaurant/Down…

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need birthday suggestions for edmonton or area

Another option is the patio at the Hotel MacDonald. IMHO, the best restaurant/river valley view in Edmonton, though you may need mosquito repellant.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 23:17
Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need birthday suggestions for edmonton or area

PS - I should clarify. The food at the Hotel MacDonald patio is fine (the Harvest Room is excellent), but the patio not outstanding. It's expensive, but the view makes it worth the price.

If you're looking for nice restaurants, the Blue Pear, Ginis, or Red Ox Inn, are my top choices. I know Hardware Grill is a favourite, but never one of my "top" spots. Wild Tangerine is nice too, it has some unique pairings.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 08:41
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need birthday suggestions for edmonton or area

An excellent idea would be walking 124th Street and Jasper Avenue. You could stop for chocolate and gelato at the new Bernard Callebout location (corner of 124th and Jasper). Then, perhaps have dinner at Cafe De Ville …cafedeville.com/tabid/9161/Default.aspx (there is a nice outdoor garden patio there as well). As well do the "gallery walk" while you're in the neighbourhood, see map here:

http://www.gallery-walk.com/

And, if you still need more to do you'll also be walking distance from the Royal Alberta Museum, too.

Hope this helps.

7. Re: need birthday suggestions for edmonton or area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 05:15