We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget WEM Accomodation

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Budget WEM Accomodation

Hi there,

I'll be coming to Edmonton in December and would like to spend 2 days at the West Edmonton Mall. I won't be renting a car, so will have to rely on either public transport or walking to get to the mall.

I've only really seen two realistic options, the West Edmonton Mall Inn ($140/night) - which doesn't have too great of reviews & Fantasyland Hotel ($180/night) - which is over our budget.

Could anyone recommend me a hotel that I could stay at, and be able to easily either take a train/bus straight to the mall? Or should I just spend the extra $ at the Fantasyland? I don't mind transiting up to 20 minutes one way, but would prefer a straight route.

Thanks!!

Edited: 26 September 2012, 13:43
Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget WEM Accomodation

We have stayed at the Inn and Fantasyland and for the price difference, I wouldn't go back to Fantasyland. Very dated, service was less than satisfactory at the front desk, elevators worked sporadically, etc. The Inn for a place to hang our hat and visit the mall worked out just fine. Beds were okay, rooms were clean enough and proximity is great.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget WEM Accomodation

fantasyland hotel is overpriced...do a search...there are recommendations in past posts on hotels within walking distance that aren't as expensive.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,052 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget WEM Accomodation

The only hotels within walking distance of the mall are the two already mentioned, unless you are up for a walk of at least a couple of kilometres. There are quite a few hotels not too far from the mall, in the Stony Plain Road/178th Street area (have a look, on google maps www.maps.google.com ... northwest of the mall, when you zoom in, the names of the hotels will show). You could check the Edmonton transit website for info on buses and routes, or perhaps some of the hotels run a shuttle? Taxi fare would not be terribly expensive either.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget WEM Accomodation

Thanks for all your replies.

Have made a booking @ the Holiday Inn Express "At the Mall".

Got a pretty good price considering breakfast is included, and reviews are not too bad. ($115 CAD/night for 2)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,052 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget WEM Accomodation

I've stayed there a few times... it's a newer hotel, breakfast is the usual self-serve hotel "breakfast room" fare (cereal, muffins, fruit, coffee etc.) Your basic chain hotel... nothing exciting but serves the purpose. Saying it's *at* the mall is a stretch though - it's almost 3 km away, according to Google maps.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 17:02
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget WEM Accomodation

Change of mind with them.

Found a daily deal @ The Days Inn in Downtown Edmonton for $70/night.

Looked on the Edmonton Transit website, I don't mind the 25-30minute bus trip if we are going to be there all day anyway.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget WEM Accomodation

there are express buses from downtown to the mall. try to get one of them.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
231 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget WEM Accomodation

Just be aware that this isn't Melbourne in winter, it will probably be fairly cold in December. Avg. high is below zero and nights are about -10 to -15. Have you tried booking sites like Hotwire and Priceline or are you booking directly with the chain? The 2 mentioned usually give you a much better rate.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,052 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget WEM Accomodation

Transit buses are heated though, but the bus shelters that you can duck into to get out of the wind (if there are any at the stops you are using), are not.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
311 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget WEM Accomodation

Bus number 100 is the super-express from downtown to the mall. It makes stops along Jasper Avenue for a few more blocks past the Days Inn and then doesn't stop again until it gets out to WEM.

Get answers to your questions about Edmonton
Recent Conversations