We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking options vs. Airport Transport

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Parking options vs. Airport Transport

Yes, there are times, I know, when it is cost effective for me as a resident of Edmonton to use an airport parking lot for short trips of a week or less.

But I have found that for long term trips away it is more beneficial for me to leave my own vehicle at home in a heated garage, and take a taxi to and from the airport.

What do others think?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking options vs. Airport Transport

You must live on the South Side, and can therefore keep the cost below that of a monthly mortage payment, lol.

I would love to one day see an LRT line connecting the airport to downtown.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking options vs. Airport Transport

There is a bus route now that takes you from the Century Park LRT station to the airport. It's a $5 surcharge over the regular fare (i.e. you would pay the regular fare to get to Century Park, and then pay a further $5 for the airport bus) - route #737. Schedules are on www.takeets.com

As a resident of Jasper, and with none of my friends in the city having a spare parking stall where I could leave my car, the taxi or transit bus options don't work for me. We were away for six weeks on our last trip, but one of the parking operations that are listed on the YEG airport website is $30 per week, so that turned out to be a lot more economical for us than it might have been.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking options vs. Airport Transport

I think the bottom line is... it depends (LOL). If the cost is similar (i.e. you're leaving your car for quite some time) it might make sense to leave your car in your garage. Sometimes it makes economic sense to leave your car at an airport lot. It's sometimes a convenience factor of not having to worry about driving home after a long flight. BTW there are indoor parking options at the airport and almost all of the lots offer discounts for long-term stays.

Oh, and KRP, people should be aware that although the 747 allows luggage, a regular bus only allows you to take on board anything that can fit in your lap. So you'd have to take a cab or get dropped off at Centruy Park station unless you're travelling with only a carry-on, etc.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
299 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking options vs. Airport Transport

While it's not always the most convenient, have you checked out how much it would be for you to take the Skyshuttle? After I have a long flight I enjoy not having to worry about driving myself, especially if I'm tired. Other times I just want to get in my car and get home as quickly as possible.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking options vs. Airport Transport

D..dogman, No, I don't live on the south side. But I can usually expense the cost of the taxi on long business trips.

I know I would love it if the LRT ran all the way to the airport, as I'm not far from one of the northern stations. But it would still be quicker using a taxi or by driving.

6. Re: Parking options vs. Airport Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Edmonton