We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Edmonton in 1 week...What to do?

Bemidji, Minnesota
4 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver to Edmonton in 1 week...What to do?

My husband and I are coming to Edmonton in early June for a dinner banquet. Can anyone advise me as to what to do and see. We were thinking about flying in to Vancouver and driving to Edmonton but we are flexible. I was just looking at Vancouver Island. Is this doable? Any help would be appreciated!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to Edmonton in 1 week...What to do?

You can drive from Vancouver to Edmonton in two days comfortably. Some people try to do it in one day but I think that's dangerous.

In Edmonton I would recommend Fort Edmonton Park, Whyte Avenue (shopping), the Alberta Art Gallery, and, yes, West Edmonton Mall. Also, the city has a lot of great restaurants. Take your pick.

I'm not familiar enough with Vancouver Island to give advice.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to Edmonton in 1 week...What to do?

It's over 700 miles from Vancouver to Edmonton ... most would take at least two days to do this drive, more if you want to stop and do some sightseeing along the way. One of the main attractions between the two - the national parks in the Canadian Rockies, a UNESCO World Heritage site - is actually much closer to Edmonton than to Vancouver. (Jasper National Park is four hours' drive from Edmonton.) With only one week, I would suggest limiting your time to Alberta, with the majority of it in the parks... Banff and Jasper. We usually recommend a minimum of 5 or 6 nights between the two, just to see the main sights and attractions, and the usual recommendation for the popular Vancouver to the Rockies to Calgary (or Edmonton) is 10 to 14 days. Vancouver Island is a huge area and you could easily spend a week or two there.

But it really comes down to your own preference and what kind of pace you like in a holiday.

Bemidji, Minnesota
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to Edmonton in 1 week...What to do?

Thanks for your response. It will be very helpful. We have been to Jasper and Banff before which were absolutely amazing but were looking for something different. Thought we may have missed something. That was the reason for flying into Vancouver instead of Edmonton and then driving to Edmonton.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver to Edmonton in 1 week...What to do?

you could fly to victoria and travel vancouver island and maybe include one of the gulf islands for a week. not beach weather though. i think june is good for some whale watching. it's prior to the really busy months of july and august so shouldn't be too busy.

fly into kelowna, bc, rent a car for a week and explore interior bc - peticton, salmon arm, nelson/nakusp area is nice and has a bunch of hot springs - then fly from kelowna to edmonton

some good white water rating at that time year (check out kumsheen by lytton bc) or wells grey provincial park by clearwater, bc) is nice.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver to Edmonton in 1 week...What to do?

I like lttt's suggestion.

As for others, I suggest looking at other earlier posts in this same forum or in the othe othe related destination forums for Edmonton, Vancouver and the Island.

Having lived in all three locations, I am a bit blase about each, but would tend to recommend the interior of BC if you were inclined for some camping.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver to Edmonton in 1 week...What to do?

A trip to the island might be nice for a few days to see Victoria, Nanaimo, etc. and then head through BC. My personal preference would be the Okanagan and visit a bunch of wineries and orchards (very good wine here). They also have some really nice restaurants in Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon, etc. As it's very mountainous, there isn't a whole lot between cities/towns except spectacular scenery, but if you plan some stops there are some very interesting places (I remember one trip stumbling upon Nelson and instead of staying for one night we extended it to three). Remember to Google somewhere (Trip Advisor?) for actual travel times rather than distances since you may be travelling on mountain roads with summer traffic.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver to Edmonton in 1 week...What to do?

You have received lots of great suggestions already.

If you decide to go ahead with a trip to the Island I recommend that you fit in a visit to Catherdral Grove if you can: …gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/macmillan/

8. Re: Vancouver to Edmonton in 1 week...What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2013, 14:56
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,095 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver to Edmonton in 1 week...What to do?

Not really Tam, as the trip was in June.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver to Edmonton in 1 week...What to do?

I was going to say the trip was for June, too. But I have no idea what the removed post 8 was about.

P.S. nickic, how did the trip go?

P.P.S. I write this now from a motel in Valemount, which is almost halfway between Vancouver and Edmonton on Hwy. 5 north of Kamloops but just south of Yellowhead Hwy 16.

Get answers to your questions about Edmonton