We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kijiji and Craigslist

Masterton
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Kijiji and Craigslist

Hi there

My partner and I are looking at short term rental options in Edmonton. I have seen them advised on Kijiji and Craigslist but can someone please confirm whether the prices mentioned are set to monthly or weekly when you look at the listings.

Thanks!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kijiji and Craigslist

Do you happen to know what listings? What type of rental are you looking for? Do you know where you would like to stay?

Masterton
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kijiji and Craigslist

Just under the short term rental section in edmonton. When you click on this the listing page has pricings down the right hand side but I can't work out whether they are weekly or monthly and it normally doesn't specify

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,415 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kijiji and Craigslist

Rentals are usually by the month here, so that would be the default.

Those two sites are unregulated. I have seen at Whistler reports of visitors showing up to the condo they paid for on Craigsllist to find the place occupied by people who rented from the real owner. This was for Christmas week. The photos had been taken from the real vacation rental site. Another one was for a couple relocating from Alberta to BC. Paid the first installment long distance but found an already tenanted suite when they got here.

Rule of thumb. Be here, go see the place with the owner before handing over any money. Those two sites work really well when you can go to see the bike for sale, the chest of drawers ..... the condo. Use your credit card to pay so that if something goes sideways you have the dispute process with your credit card to fall back on. Cash is unrecoverable.

So take care, eyes open, due diligence.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 08:31
Masterton
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kijiji and Craigslist

Great advice thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,415 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kijiji and Craigslist

Wish I'd thought to mention VRBO earlier. vacation Rentals By Owner. Much more reliable.

Here's the page for Edmonton. vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…edmonton

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kijiji and Craigslist

I know this is a late reply, but wanted to advise you of alot of the Kijiji scams which are leading to robberies and assaults in the Edmonton area lately. There have been a few reports of robberies etc which involve Kijiji, and there are a few rental scams going around. I don't want to deter you from visiting Edmonton which is safe, but take extra precautions. If you are still planning on renting, perhaps check with us here in TA and grab some second opinions. We can advise you on the area, and the rates and just our general opinions. Heck, I'm sure some of us can even drive by a rental property to check it out for you!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kijiji and Craigslist

Suzanne, in my neck of the woods there was a high profile murder case which happened about 2 months ago. 32-year old Tim Bosma (married father of 2 year old girl) listed his pick-up on Kijiji and Autotrader.ca. Two men came to his house and took it for a test drive along with Tim Bosma.

Bosma told his wife he'd be right back. He never returned. They killed the poor guy and burned his body on an isolated farm 2 hours from Toronto. You may have heard about this as it was nation-wide news. People have to be very careful these days.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 04:09
8. Re: Kijiji and Craigslist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 07:24