We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Economy Rent A Car - Please Help!

Which Edmonton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Economy Rent A Car - Please Help!

I live in the US and have a US driver's license. I have been looking at car rentals around the Edmonton airport and they all are very expensive. I found the cheapest (by A LOT) on Hotwire. The company name is listed as Economy Rent A Car and the details say that there is a shuttle to get you to the rental company. Has anyone heard of them? Also, how far is the shuttle and does anyone know of any contact information? I will be traveling to Red Deer and then back to the airport only. And, do they accept a US driver's license. Any help at all would be very appreciated! Thanks!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Economy Rent A Car - Please Help!

I can't comment on the one in Edmonton, as I always use one of the major companies. However, here's a post from an ongoing discussion about the same company's Toronto location. Not saying Edmonton's is as bad, but you might consider some of the comments on extra charges that appear. Just remember - you get what you pay for when you go the cheapest route...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k47154…

Your US license is accepted in Canada. You don't say your age, but if you are under 25 you may find some rental companies charge a "young driver" fee.

Edited: 09 July 2013, 18:12
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Economy Rent A Car - Please Help!

Hi there - I have never heard of this company, and a little research online proved to be pretty frustrating - their website isn't the most user friendly. The address 405 - 11 Ave given is in Nisku, which is a small town near the airport - lots of travelers' services there. When I plug that address in to Google Maps I end up with an open field - but lots of construction going on, maybe it is fairly new? The phone number is 780-955-2224 or 877-326-7368, and as the link above mentions, they carry on business as Routes Car and Truck Rentals. It's only a five minute drive to get there from the airport, but the length of the shuttle trip depends entirely on how responsive the company is to pick you up. Their info online says that you call them at the given number, and they will send the shuttle to pick you up. And yes, they do accept a US driver's license. As phpr mentioned, there is sometimes a "young driver" fee - with Economy it is $25 a day.

I got this information from their website by filling in a rental reservation online and I ended up with this page:

https://www.economyrentacar.com/Terms.aspx…

There's a lot of red tape there - for instance, they require a credit card guarantee and there is a cancellation policy, which is unusual for car rentals. I would have a good long read of their terms.

You don't say how long you are going to be in Red Deer for. Make sure this is really a good option for you before proceeding.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Economy Rent A Car - Please Help!

Personally, I would choose Enterpr for a rental. I have heard of Economy, since I used them once long ago. Didn't like them even by price / service comparison.

Your driver's licence issue is already addressed, so you're good to go.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Economy Rent A Car - Please Help!

There have been previous posts on the Calgary forum regarding Routes as well. Just something to consider: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154913-i285-k5576…

tripadvisor.com/…47783621

Edited: 12 July 2013, 06:03
Canada
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Economy Rent A Car - Please Help!

Sorry to be unclear. Economy operates as Routes, as noted by mcwhippet.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Economy Rent A Car - Please Help!

I always use "enterprise". unless there are a lot of you or a ton of baggage, just book the cheapest/smallest one and you are usually upgraded. all rental car companies use shuttles to get people from the airport to their cars.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Economy Rent A Car - Please Help!

Most comments are accurate except the last one. Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National are all located in the parking garage next to the terminal. Don't know when you arrive but be aware of hours of operation. Never used Economy, but again, be careful about things like mileage especially since you're travelling to Red Deer. The main companies usually have unlimited kms, but Economy may have a limit and therefore charge less up front but cost you more in the end.

Edmonton, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Economy Rent A Car - Please Help!

Go to their websites to check it out as well as locations, etc. Most of them will come to pick you up or meet you at a time you specify.

I know that different days of the week the price will go up/down sometimes by alot depending on how many cars they have at the time. The more cars they have the cheaper it will be. Thursday's approx. I would try checking back with them. Also I found out recently if you have a Costco card you can go to their website and get a code to use through budget which will save you approx. $100.

Maybe you could also try a taxi and see how much they would do it for. You can pre book for a taxi to be somewhere to get you at a certain day/time and most would give you a flat rate.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Economy Rent A Car - Please Help!

Terrible.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,386 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Economy Rent A Car - Please Help!

Care to share any details?