We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay near Mall or Rexall Place?

Which Edmonton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Stay near Mall or Rexall Place?

We are thinking of coming to Edm. for a weekend in Sept, and haven't been there in a while so I don't really remember much about the layout of the city.

If we're planning to see a concert at Rexall Place, spend some time at the WEMall, and check out the downtown a bit, where would be the best place to stay? (if we don't have a car) I can see from the map that the WEMall and Rexall place are NOT very close together.

- if we stay near the mall (looking at WEM Inn).... can we get to Rexall & downtown on the LRT? If not... any idea how much a cab would be?

- is Rexall place near/in downtown -- ie can walk there within 20 min? If so, could we take the LRT to the mall?

- if we stay near Rexall, any hotels to recommend that are within walking distance -- I'd like to pay no more than $125 per night if possible. Doesn't have to be fancy, just not a "dive".

thanks!

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay near Mall or Rexall Place?

Sherry

Consider staying in downtown; it's more interesting than Rexall area. Perhaps the Holiday Inn Express, Coast Plaza or Comfort Inn & Suites - all are in your budget. Take the LRT to Rexall and back - it's fast, cheap, and convenient.

Rexall Place is not near downtown, you definitely couldn't walk it.

To get to WEdMall, I've heard there's an express bus from downtown.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay near Mall or Rexall Place?

I would not stay near Rexall... that part of the city is pretty dirty. I would reccomend staying downtown as well. From downtown you can bus right to West Ed (the #1 goes there and i'm sure there are others). There are also buses that go right to Rexall. Dowtown is between the other two places. You definately can't walk to Rexall from downtown, and you probably wouldn't want to anyway. You could stay at the WEM hotel but it might take you a couple buses to get to Rexall (or you could take a cab).

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
307 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay near Mall or Rexall Place?

The recommendation to stay downtown and take the bus to West Edmonton Mall and LRT to Rexall is a good one.

The express bus from downtown to West Edmoton Mall is the number 100, and it stops within a short walk of all major downtown hotels. It takes about 25 minutes with very few stops, which is only slightly longer that a car or cab would take for a lot less money ($2.25 vs around $20 for a cab)

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay near Mall or Rexall Place?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.... I'm definitely going to book a hotel for downtown. I've been to Edm. a few times for short visits but don't think I've ever even been downtown! Looking forward to seeing a bit more of the city. And, we're not opposed to public transit so I'm glad to hear the bus routes are pretty easy. (I think we'll probably cab home after the concert on Sat. night though, knowing now what you've told me about the neighbourhood where Rexall is! good to know!)

I'll do some research and then come back & pick your brains some more.... hope you don't mind :o)

Any suggestions on particular things to do / places to eat etc. in the downtown would be appreciated! (We'll be there Sept 29 - Oct 2).

thanks again, and any additional advice is welcome!

Sherry

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay near Mall or Rexall Place?

Sherry

In reply to your additional comments:

There's a LRT station right at Rexall. I was impressed how easy it was to take from a concert - considering the crowd all at once. There were several transit staff on hand to get everyone through quickly.

If you're looking to splurge on a meal downtown, I recommend www.hardwaregrill.com (check days open) for lunch or Sunday brunch at the revolving restaurant: www.chateaulacombe.com/laronde.html

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
307 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay near Mall or Rexall Place?

My favorite downtown restaurants are Blue Plate Diner (more artsy comfortable-casual than diner), Silk Hat (definitely diner - great greasy spoon fare), and Blue Willow (great Chinese food).

I also second ABtraveller's suggestion of La Ronde revolving restaurant for a Sunday brunch splurge. The Empire Room at the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald does a great brunch as well (although the room only spins if you drink too much champagne and orange juice!).

I see that you'll be in town on a Saturday. You might enjoy checking out the City Market, which takes place on 104 Street just north of Jasper Avenue. They block off the street for the day and set up booths for a couple of blocks selling locally produced art, crafts and food. It ends for the season on Thanksgiving weekend, so you'll just catch it. If you go to Blue Plate Diner for breakfast after (it's on the same street as the market), you'll probably see me there! It's the Saturday morning ritual in my house.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay near Mall or Rexall Place?

Thanks both of you; I think I'll look into that Sunday brunch at the revolving restaurant! I do enjoy "birds eye views" of cities etc. I'll keep the other places on my list too. We barely ever eat Chinese at home but for some weird reason we almost always eat it wherever we travel -- so perhaps we'll have to try that Blue Willow!

Chucklebelly -- I did notice on one website about the 104 St market; I like that kind of stuff so will check it out! (Hopefully I can convince Hubby that it will be fun!) Glad to hear it's recommended.

Anyway, booked my flights today; we'll be arriving around 4:30pm on Friday and leaving 6pm on Monday. I think our rough itinerary so far will be:

Friday night -- arrive, dinner, walk around downtown.

Sat daytime -- 104 St. market, anything else interesting we find downtown.

Sat evening -- dinner, Elton concert!

Sunday we'll be visiting some friends outside of town.

Monday I think we'll go to the Mall for the day, then head to the airport straight from. Will have to figure out what to do with luggage.

Will be a quick weekend but should be fun! I'm looking forward to it. Any other suggestions of "don't miss" things downtown are welcome! :)

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay near Mall or Rexall Place?

Sherry

For your luggage while at West Edm Mall, one option is to go to Fantasyland Hotel (right in the mall) and check it there. Another option is to ask the mall visitor info services about lockers 780.444.5330

Be sure to get fresh kettle popcorn at 104th Sat market! They set up on the corner of 104th St and 102nd Av.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
307 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay near Mall or Rexall Place?

You probably don't need to spend so much time exploring downtown. I would suggest that instead you include a visit to the Old Strathcona (Whyte Avenue) area during your visit. It is located just across the river from downtown, a short taxi or bus ride (route 6) away. It has Edmonton's most vibrant street life, with shops, restauants and nighclubs. Saturday afternoon would be a great time to visit.

You'll be in town for the start of the Edmonton International Film Festival (runs Sept. 29-Oct. 7). It's not nearly as large as the Vancouver or Toronto festivals, but if you're a film buff there are always some great films to catch. The venues change a bit year to year, but the screenings are usually in the downtown and Old Strathcona areas.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay near Mall or Rexall Place?

Thanks again you two! Good advice on the luggage checking; I hadn't thought of going to the mall hotel as we're not staying there, but I'm sure they'd accept a few bucks to hold our stuff. Perhaps I can even attempt to pack light so there's not too much!?!

Mmmmm popcorn, I'll watch for it! :)

Re Whyte Ave -- I had read something about it but didn't look so far as to see where it is; I like the suggestion of heading there on Sat. aft. Thanks!

I did notice the film festival is on; I'm a bit interested (but not so much as if it was a music, theatre, or comedy festival). But will definitely check out what's going on. Hopefully they'll have some info, program etc. at our hotel (which I haven't chosen for sure yet, but will be downtown) or of course I can look online (How did we ever plan trips before the Internet!?!?)

thanks! No more questions but I'm sure I'll think of some more eventually :o)