We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Jasper in October

Scotland
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Jasper in October

We are planning to travel to Banff and Jasper in the last two weeks of October this year and are planning a self drive tour, however I get conflicting advice regarding the weather and travelling/driving alone. Some say if the tours don't go then we shouldn't and others say October is fine and snow doesn't come till Nov/Dec. Any thoughts advice.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Jasper in October

there most certainly will be a risk of snow but i wouldn't let that stop me , i was there the first two weeks of october a few years ago and there was snow on the peaks. it was in the mid 70's F to 80. i would suspect 50s and 60s for daytime highs at the end of the month.. Just be sensible, you might have to sit out a morning or day because of the weather....you may definately be limited in some of your hiking (if that is your plan..)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,012 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Jasper in October

Mid-70s to 80s for early October is much warmer than normal ... averages probably run more around 50 to 60'ish. Heck, the normal averages for now - early September - are high/lows of 64F and 41 (or 18C/5C)! (See Environment Canada's Jasper weather page at www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html… ) At the end of October, average highs would probably be more like 40s and 50s, with nights below freezing.

Snow doesn't generally come (to stay) in the town (valley bottom) until into November, but flurries and small amounts are common in October. If it is rainy in the valley, it is likely snowing at higher elevations (ie. along the Icefield Parkway)

Scotland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Jasper in October

Thanks for all the helpful information.

Sounds pretty much like home (Scotland), so used the weather and temperatures so just gonna go for it.

King's Lynn
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Jasper in October

I have been to Banff & Jasper late September beginning of October< and going again this year. Warm day times, but temperatures start to drop nightimes- frosty mornings etc If you are down in the valleys & it does rain - the icefields parkway & higher altitudes most probably will be snowing. It doesn't take long for the roads to clear if it does snow- the highways althorites soon clear the snow away especially arround the townsites. Best to take layers of clothing if possible.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,885 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Jasper in October

Welcome to TripAdvisor and the TripAdvisor forums, Annelizabeth69! Thanks for trying to help ScottieTravellers, but their trip was planned for last October.

Hope you enjoy your own upcoming visit!

6. Re: Travel to Jasper in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2010, 05:15