We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging in jasper?

Which Jasper National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
lodging in jasper?

I keep looking lots at all the places to stay. My husband and I are looking for a cabin type area with a separate sleeping and sitting area which includes a kitchenette for quick breakfasts and packing lunches for our hikes. We'd love to be somewhat close to hiking trails in Jasper.

As of now, I really like both the Jasper House Bungalows and Alpine Village - both have great reviews and look lovely. Would one be quieter / nicer / and closer to trails than the other? I'm so excited about this coming trip which is in September.

Thanks for your kind help!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,734 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging in jasper?

Hi (again)! I commented on the Alpine Village vs. Jasper House choice in your other thread for Canmore... hadn't seen that you had also posted here. As I said there, Alpine Village is more upscale, which will be reflected in their rates, and is also in higher demand, as their minimum 3-night stay policy shows.

Both would be quiet - they are just a bit out of town; Alpine Village is on 93A (the old parkway) just short of its junction with 93 (the Icefields Parkway) so it may have "the edge" on being a bit quieter (less traffic); continuing south on 93, you'll come to Jasper House within a minute or two. It's off 93, and close to Whistler and Wapiti Campgrounds, which have 1100 campsites between them, so there will be a bit more traffic ... but by evening, traffic will be light. There is no truck traffic allowed on the Icefields Parkway, so no worries about noisy semis.

There is a hiking trail along the Athabasca River, that both can access, however, other than that, you'll have to drive to trail heads. In general, the main popular subalpine trails are each about an hour's drive from Jasper townsite. There are lower elevation trails that are closer to town (and to both accommodations), such as the Old Fort Point loop, the Valley of the Five Lakes, Wabasso Lake etc., and these are all nice hikes (& shorter & easier, if that's what you are looking for). However, the hikes that the Rockies are famous for are the subalpine meadows and alpine ridge hikes... and you'll have to drive to get to the trail heads for these, no matter where you stay.

My favourite four hikes in Jasper National Park, the ones that I do each and every summer (and sometimes multiple times within a season) are:

Cavell Meadows (at Mt. Edith Cavell .... either accommodation is about 10 minutes closer to the trailhead, compared to town)

Sulphur Skyline (at Miette Hot Spring) ... either accommodation adds about 10 minutes to your drive, compared to town.

Wilcox Pass (at Columbia Icefields) ... either accommodation is about a 10 minutes shorter drive, compared to town... so it would likely be about an hour, or an hour and five minutes to get to the trailhead.

Opal Hills (at Maligne Lake) ... either accom. is about 10 minutes longer drive compared to town.

Also, in regards to hiking... you don't say when in September you are coming, but I would suggest coming sometime in the first three weeks of the month if you want to do the higher elevation hikes. Sometimes these trails are fine into early October, but often, the last week of September brings snow to the high country, and the daily freeze/thaw cycle means icy trails and sometimes treacherous footing in places where a slip can be dangerous. (Of course, sometimes we get weather like that from mid-September on in the high country, but often the early snowstorms are followed by warm enough weather to melt the snow and dry things up too.)

Edited: 02 February 2012, 00:00
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging in jasper?

Hi Jasper, thank you so much for your response. I think we'll go with alpine. We'll be coming the very end of August and the first week of Sept.

Thanks so much for the information on hiking trails. I had not done too much research on them yet. I have printed out the list of trails from the national parks' websites which describes some of the many hikes. Since we live in Florida we don't get much hiking during the year. WE usually go to the national parks every summer to enjoy the mountains and hiking. WE usually start with the easier hikes but mostly we do the moderate ones, sometimes after we are acclimated we"ll try some moderate/difficult ones. We are in pretty good physical shape, but I must say at times I can get a little fearful when we're walking along narrow ledges on a steep climb! :) For the most part when I read the descriptions of the hikes I'll look for the moderate ones with great sights.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,734 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodging in jasper?

Hi again, hikerks,

I can't think of any official trails here in Jasper NP that have narrow ledges.... steep climbs, yes, in some cases. There are hikes where the trail is narrow and traverses a steep(ish) side slope, even on some of the easier hikes, but nothing where there is a high degree of exposure, or high danger.

The end of August and beginning of September is a great time to come hiking here because usually the weather is decent, and the mosquitoes are gone. However, it is beyond the peak of the wildflower season at subalpine and alpine elevations... there are still a few around, of course, but by then, it is already well into autumn up high, often with nights below freezing. The autumn colours as the vegetation is turning colour is really beautiful.

I'm glad you've found the hiking pages on the national park website - they are a great resource! If you have any questions about specific trails, please feel free to post them!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lodging in jasper?

Hi Jasper,

Thanks again for your information - you're a great help!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
311 posts
669 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lodging in jasper?

If budget is an issue then try Pine Bungalows, really close to town and pretty basic but nice and clean - try googling them.

My irritation with Jasper is that the hotels really don't have to try too hard as they are strapped for rooms there in summer so everywhere I've stayed at seems very over-priced for what you get. Pine bungalows seems the best of the lot to me unless willing to fork out for the Park Lodge.

Anyway, we liked the PIne Bungalows and are as you described in the original query.

http://www.pinebungalows.com/

Rob

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lodging in jasper?

Hi OmanRob,

thanks for the suggestion for the Pine Bungalows. They look like a great place.

Kingston, TN
Level Contributor
83 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lodging in jasper?

Please look into PHA's (private home accommodations) in Jasper. We stayed 6 nights in Alpine Meadows Suite on our trip to the Canadian Rockies last Aug/Sept 2011. This 800 square foot private 2-bedroom suite with full kitchen and large living area is located on the lower level of a private home, but has its own private entrance. The suit accommodates up to 6 people. This worked out great as our base camp for our stay in Jasper. We always make a kitchen a priority on our trips since we pack lunches everyday for our hikes and eat breakfast before we leave for the day. This PHA is owned by a family with small children, so you will have to share the backyard area. This PHA is exceptionally clean (that's really important to me) and roomy (especially since it was only 2 of us). Please check out their website of the same name - Alpine Meadows Suite. You will be surprised at what you get for the price. I highly recommend checking into PHA's for a stay in Jasper.

8. Re: lodging in jasper?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2013, 10:26
Get answers to your questions about Jasper National Park