We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will there still be snow in mid July?

Which Jasper National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
185 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Will there still be snow in mid July?

This may be avery stupid question but I am a firm believer in not asking is worst!!!

Just be checking out one of the TA posters photos which look stunning.....however I was surprised by the amount of snow still around end of May in his pictures. He was at Peyto, Morraine, among others I recall. We are arriving July 17th for ten days & plan to do hiking in LL, Jasper & Banff area, nothing too ambitious. Will there still be a lot of snow around or will most of it be melted by now?

Not sure if we have got warm enough jackets,I was planning on bringing rain jackets & light fleeces. We live in Egypt 80% of the time!!! so don't have a great need for this type of gear

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,139 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will there still be snow in mid July?

Peyto and Moraine Lake are both at high elevation (almost 7000 feet at the Peyto Lake look-out) and it is quite normal for there to still be snow there at the end of May, and for both lakes still to be frozen (but they are thawed now). It has been a cool spring and early summer so far, with a LOT more rain than usual (at the moment a number of trails and day-use areas here in Jasper National Park are closed due to flooding and damaged bridges etc.), so snow melt has been slower than usual. Add to that that we had much higher amounts of snowfall last winter than usual, and the peaks are looking a lot snowier at the moment than usual.

It is quite normal to encounter some snow patches when hiking in the Canadian Rockies at higher subalpine and at alpine elevations, even in July and August, depending on which trails you choose to do. (Just as a slightly off-topic note - the dog in my avatar picture used to get absolutely giddy with delight when we came upon snow patches when hiking in summer - he would run in circles in it and then flop down and roll in it.)

Mountain weather can change quickly, and higher elevations are cooler to start with, so It's a good idea to have extra clothing layers in your pack that you can add if necessary. I keep thin gloves and a toque (knit winter hat) in my hiking pack all summer long and use them often. I normally wear zip-off pants and a short-sleeve tech top for hiking, and have a long sleeve top, light fleece and gore-tex jacket on or in my pack too. (Usually I start out with some of that on, because it's cool in the morning.) I have been snowed on in July, and I have fried in heat in September - you basically have to be prepared for anything from freezing up to about 30C (although it's rare for it to be that hot at higher elevations).

Don't forget the sun screen and the bug repellent.

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will there still be snow in mid July?

We just returned from a two day getaway and the weather was cool but very manageable. The scenery was as stunning as ever with tons of wildlife about. We didn't encounter much snow except on the glacier trail at Mt. Edith Cavell- which was awe- inspiring to say the least. Enjoy!

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will there still be snow in mid July?

Unless you are hiking up high altitudes there will not be snow in Mid-July.

Definition of high is above 2000 meters. as per other posts, you would encounter snow in Mt. Edith Cavell (mountain top) at 2400meters.

What you need to worry about is wear clothes in layers. There is a big temperature differential from bottom of the mountains to the top. Dress in ways where you can add or take things off. Even if the temperature at the top is warm the wind can get really horrendous.

Dress carefully. Bring Water. Bring sun screen.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
185 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will there still be snow in mid July?

Thanks for all the guidance, the bag is packed and I am ready with layers!!!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Will there still be snow in mid July?

You will get to enjoy the experience of traveling on a Glacier with the Columbia Icefields Glacier Experience. Because your are from Egypt, this is definitely something you don't want to miss. Most visitors from warm weather countries find it fascinating to learn about Glaciers and travel on the ice. I would also recommend wearing comfy walking shoes so you can hike the Toe of the Glacier trail at the Icefields Centre.

While the chance of a summer flurry are really slim, it does happen every summer in Banff. We'll get a mid-summer freak storm and all-of-a-sudden there's big wet flakes coming from the sky. Enjoy your adventure! It's going to be an amazing trip.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Will there still be snow in mid July?

Here are the latest (July 2, 2012) trail reports for Banff & Jasper:

www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tcond/cond_E.asp…

www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tcond/cond_e.asp…

~Natasha

7. Re: Will there still be snow in mid July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Jasper National Park