We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging and Itinerary Suggestions??

Louisville,KY
Level Contributor
286 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging and Itinerary Suggestions??

My wife and I will be in Jasper Wed-Friday Sept. 20--23. I have looked at some Hotels and B&Bs but would appreciate any suggestions on where to stay and must see's in Jasper with two full days. We do like to hike some (good shape and in late 40's) and definitely want to see the best natural beauty. Would like to stay under US$200 a night. My wife probably wants to be close to center of Jasper, she likes walking around the shops also.

First time to Rockies. We are spending about 4 days in Banff also.

Thanks, Chuck

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,024 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging and Itinerary Suggestions??

The town of Jasper is quite small, so no matter where you stay in town, you will be within no more than 20 minute's walk to downtown. Most of the hotels are located in a cluster at the north/east end of town - these would be about 15 - 20 minute walk to the centre of town, where the downtown area is (centred around the train station).

Hotel rates will probably have started to drop a bit by the time you are here; $200 is basically almost the starting rate here in high season (July and August) - there are only a few places with rates less than that, and they tend to be older, smaller, more basic or out of town. Hotels also have to add on taxes, adding 9 to 11% to their rates (depending on whether they are part of Tourism Jasper and collect the 2% DMF or not). Private home accommodations and B&Bs are all under $200 per night (almost all are under $150), and they don't have to collect any taxes, so you save further.

There are only a few hotels near the centre of town, but some PHAs are quite close to downtown. You can use the street address of any property to estimate how close to downtown they are - street numbers start at 100 at the north/east end of town, and work up to 1200 at the south/west end of town, with downtown on the 500 and 600 blocks of both Connaught Drive and Patricia Street).

The Maligne valley is a popular scenic attraction - as you head up the valley away from town, Athabasca Look-out, Maligne Canyon, Medicine Lake and Maligne Lake are scenic stops to make. There are short and long hikes available up at Maligne Lake, one of them in fact is one of my four favourite hikes in Jasper NP - the Opal Hills trail. If you make all these stops and take the boat cruise and do a hike, it would basically be an all-day excursion.

My other three favourite hikes are Wilcox Pass (in the Columbia Icefields area - perhaps you could do it on your way to/from Jasper), the Sulphur Skyline (at Miette Hot Springs) and Cavell Meadows. The meadows are at their floral peak now, for about three or four weeks - winter will be on its way to the high country by the time you are here in later September, so there won't be much left for flowers (it's possible there may be a small amount of snow, but that's pretty early still for snow even at the higher elevations) but I would still recommend a visit to Mt. Edith Cavell. The scenery is stunning!

I keep a warm hat and light gloves in my hiking pack all through the summer, and highly recommend that for late September. I have hiked in blizzard conditions in mid-September (mid-July, too!), and anytime you are in the high subalpine or alpine and it is windy, it will be cool.

Louisville,KY
Level Contributor
286 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging and Itinerary Suggestions??

Thanks alot! I think we are going to stay at a Bed & Breakfast. Also appreciate the suggestions on hikes and sightseeing for the two days.

PS: We plan on driving up from Banff on the main Parkway everyone talks about, how about the trip back to Banff? Should we use same road or alternate route?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,024 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging and Itinerary Suggestions??

There is no alternate route, unless you want to go on a very roundabout (long and boring) drive. It's definitely worth driving the Icefields Parkway (highway 93N) twice - you see different views in each direction, and also, driving it twice gives you twice the odds of having really good weather on at least one of the days you make the drive.

You can make short diversions from the main highway for a bit of variety - highway 93A here in Jasper NP runs from about 8 km south of town to Athabasca Falls, where it joins 93N again. It's the old highway, so it's a bit more winding, and definitely quieter (and slower). Note that the southern section of the road is getting quite rough.

In Banff NP, the Bow Valley Parkway (highway 1A - also a piece of the old highway) runs from just west of Banff to Lake Louise - definitely worth a drive!

Edited: 23 July 2012, 19:16
4. Re: Lodging and Itinerary Suggestions??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2013, 10:17