We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hikes en route to Jasper

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
444 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
hikes en route to Jasper

Hi, on Sept 13 my husband and I will be traveling from Canmore along the Icefields Parkway to Jasper; from what we've read we'll be wowed all the way with spectacular scenery and lots of pulling off to drink in the vistas. We've decided not to do the bus tour out onto the Glacier, but we're considering doing one of two hikes--or part of one of them--if time permits: Wilcox Pass or Parker Ridge Trail. Problem is time--we don't want to be rushed, so can we hike along one of these trails for about a mile out for a good view? Any help will be appreciated. We're "older" hikers--mid-60s; husband has 2 knee-replacements so not-too-strenuous is best--I've read that Parker Ridge is a gentler hike. True? Many thanks! Can;t wait for this trip!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,005 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hikes en route to Jasper

They are both wonderful hikes! It's 4 km to Wilcox Pass, but you can go just the first couple of kilometres to an overlook for spectacular views. If you don't go all the way to the pass marker, the elevation gain will be less than the Parker Ridge trail, which has 275m of gain. (Wilcox Pass has 335, to the pass marker.) You can go wrong with either hike.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hikes en route to Jasper

Thanks for the great info! Based on that (especially the overlook on Wilcox Pass), we'll make a decision based on weather as we're driving. Many thanks

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,005 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hikes en route to Jasper

You're welcome. Eek, I meant to say "You CAN'T go wrong with either hike".... but you probably figured that out. ;-)

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hikes en route to Jasper

I did! but the opposite it true, too, if it happens to be a day we're feelin'' kinda klutzy.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hikes en route to Jasper

I'm piggybacking here with a question about another hike in Yoho, so the question's title is misleading....couldn't get bus tickets to Lake O'Hara; are going to Emerald Lake for the hike around it. We'd like to do part of the Iceline Trail--the Moon guide says the first part of the trail offers spectacular views when you come to a clearing (doing this from memory), but it doesn't say how far that clearing is--approximately how far is it to a great view? We'd like to see the T. falls from two places and is that possible from a short walk on the Iceline Trail? Many thanks!

novi, michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hikes en route to Jasper

Dear singinintherain:

Have lots of fun on your trip. We did go on the Wilcox pass (not all the way though) and it was fairly steep so with your hubby's knees, not so sure but if too strenuous you can always turn back! The views were spectacular (you may have already read my review and pix for Wilcox) but in that part of the world they almost all are.

Also, the trail around Emerald lake is not really a hike. I'd call it a pleasant walk no climbing as such. However, I heard that Iceline is kinda hard so we ended up not doing it. The following link takes you to a webpage that has a link on the bottom for Yoho Trail Map. Click on it and a really good quality PDF file appears that you may be able to save/print, etc. Hope you have a great time.

www.field.ca/yohonationalpark/yohovalley/

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hikes en route to Jasper

Thank you for your feedback. Based on another TA member's recommendation, we'll only do part of the Wilcox Pass trail, and I think it'll be fine--if not, these bodies go in reverse in a heartbeat. We'd also only be doing part of the Iceline trail, so maybe I'll just post a new question by that title. From the trail map, I couldn't tell how far the hike was to get the really great views. I bet it's a real pleasure remembering your trip--a great gift to yourself

8. Re: hikes en route to Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 03:18