We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September rafting 2013 & Cavell 2013

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
September rafting 2013 & Cavell 2013

This seems a bit early but we are planning on returning to Banff/Jasper/Lake Louise next September because we had a magnificent trip this past September; we would like a later trip in 2013 to enjoy fall colors. Two questions: How late do the rafting trips go out? And will Edith Cavell be open? Such fun to think about a return trip--even greater anticipation because we know where we are going. Many thanks.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,669 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September rafting 2013 & Cavell 2013

I think the only answer that can be given about Mt. Edith Cavell is to "wait and see". The updates Parks Canada has given on the Jasper National Park website say that they will have glacier experts up there assessing the situation and doing "hazard mapping". Personally (and I wish to emphasize this is pure speculation on my part), I think it is unlikely that there will be the same access to the area in the future, specifically to the Cavell Pond area and along the stream where the Path of the Glacier trail was. I think it's more likely the higher trail will be open, with barriers to prevent people going down to the pond. (This would still give wonderful views, as well as access to the Cavell Meadows trail.) There are large seracs on the Angel Glacier that appear like they may be coming down soon, and even with the existing warning signs, there are always a lot of people wandering around beneath the glacier... much too close should anything come down. I think the park management are probably thinking that a major tragedy was only averted by sheer luck... had the Ghost Glacier ice fall in August happened in daylight hours, there would have been hundreds of deaths and injuries.

Opening the area at all depends, though, on the state of the upper part of the road and the parking lot, both of which were damaged in the flooding that ensued after the ice fall. From the photos, there appears to be a lot of damage - it looks like the pavement was lifted, and then put back down all buckled and warped. There were also many other bits of park infrastructure damaged this year, due to the high water levels and flooding of various rivers and lakes (Fifth Bridge, the Watchtower bridge among others) and the government cut funding to the park quite severely in the last budget. So it remains to be seen how quickly (or if) these repairs will be done.

P.S. Rafting goes through to at least almost the end of September - I saw rafts on the river a couple of weeks ago. To know for sure, it would be best to contact the rafting companies directly. They are listed under "activities" at www.jasper.travel.

Edited: 08 October 2012, 20:08
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: September rafting 2013 & Cavell 2013

Never to early to dream about / plan the next outing to Jasper. Rafting operates until the end of September... and if the weather holds... we'll operate a few days into October. Mount Edith Cavell should re open mid June, and tends to stay open until October 15ish, (except for this year).

See you on the River... Scott.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September rafting 2013 & Cavell 2013

Thank you both, krp & Scott...such fun to plan and live help makes it so much more personal.

4. Re: September rafting 2013 & Cavell 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 19:18