We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days trail

Montreal, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
5 days trail

I don't know if it's possible but i'd like to do 5 days of trail in jasper park. I would stay at camping site with a tent. I just don't know where to start nor where to end. I'm coming from edmonton airport, so I would need a way to get to jasper first ... Is it possible ?? thanks for any informations

Montreal, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days trail

I found this forum here : trailpeak.com/trail-Brazeau-Loop-near-Rocky-…

anyone done it ?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,428 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days trail

I haven't done the entire loop, but have done some of it - a backpacking trip in the Poboktan valley, up to Poboktan Pass, and dayhiking to Nigel Pass.

The Brazeau Loop is a very popular backpacking trip; you can check availability of campsites online. The link is here, and the Brazeau Loop campsites are on pages 22 through 45 - there are already some nights this summer when some campsites are fully booked: pc.gc.ca/eng/…rapport-report.aspx

The trailheads are quite some distance from Jasper townsite - the Poboktan Creek trailhead is about 60 km away, and the Nigel Pass trailhead is about 110 km.

If you can get your hands on Patton and Robinson's "Canadian Rockies Trail Guide" (perhaps call it in at your local library?), it has details on this and every other day hike and backpacking trip in the Canadian Rockies national and provincial parks.

Montreal, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days trail

Thanks a lot !! I read there was also the skyline trail is it closer to jasper town. I read online that there was shuttle from airport either calgary - jasper or edmonton - jasper. As for campsite what is the rough distance between each one ? Thanks again it would be my first trip to the rookie. I hope i csn make it.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days trail

Welcome.

I believe that Brewsters may operate a shuttle from Edmonton Airport to Jasper townsite. However, you would have to get yourself to the trailhead. None of the trailheads are within walking distance of Jasper, and there's no public transport. So you would either need to rent a car or find a ride.

If this is your first time camping or first time camping out in a national park, you probably want to stick to front country campsites and/or hostels. Backcountry camping takes a lot of gear and planning. You simply can't just go out and camp. Except in certain, remote parts of the park, you must camp in designated backcountry campsites.

As KRP hinted, in order to camp in the backcountry, you must reserve a spot in a backcountry campsite and have a wilderness pass for each night. Campsite spots are quite limited, and summer spots along the popular routes may be completely booked by now, especially on the weekends and holidays. The Skyline trail is VERY popular, so you may have difficulty being able to book the needed campsites along the way.

For five nights, you'd have to find campsites that are hiking distance apart, and that could be challenging. You would also need to have all the gear (sleeping bag, tent, pad, backpacking stove etc. and know how to take bear precautions). Backcountry campsites have bear boxes or other storage, and ALL food, and anything with smell (soap, toiletries, deoderant etc) must go in there at night and when you are away from the campsite. You also can only cook in designated areas which are well away from tents.

I would suggest looking for spots in front country (road side) campsites and/or wilderness hostels. You would still need a car or to get a ride with someone, however. There are a number of wilderness hostels along the Icefields Parkway - they would provide a bunk with mattress, all the cooking equipment/gear and pit toilets. The hostels in the townsites (Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff, Canmore) have showers and are fancier. You should book ahead of time for the wilderness hostels, as they are small and can book up with folks on weekend trips.

For the campgrounds, they'd have toilets, sometimes showers, cook shelters, bear boxes etc. Some can be booked in advance, others are first come, first serve. They'll be busiest on weekends and holiday weeks (first week in July, first week in August).

5. Re: 5 days trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Jasper National Park
Recent Conversations