We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver-Jasper-Banff-Calgary itinerary

Silicon Valley, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver-Jasper-Banff-Calgary itinerary

Hi,

I have just started looking into Canadian Rockies vacation for 2015 summer (July-August). A train ride is high on our list, and I am thinking of flying into Vancouver (from northern California), taking a train to Jasper, and then driving from Jasper to Banff to Calgary, and then flying out from Calgary. Any comments on this itinerary? We are a family of 4, with 2 small kids, and we are planning to stay 4-5 nights (add a couple of nights for train, and another 1-2 nights for Vancouver/Calgary... so, a total of 7-9 day trip).

Rocky Mountaineer offers a one-way ride from Vancouver to Jasper (with a night-stop in Kamloops). Would I be able to get one-way car rentals at/near the train station in Jasper?

After that, I still have to research and figure out what all we want to do, but short hikes (2-3 miles) and drive-able sites is what we would do.

Thanks

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver-Jasper-Banff-Calgary itinerary

One-way car rentals carry a substantial financial penalty. You may want to look into what that cost would be before continuing your planning.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver-Jasper-Banff-Calgary itinerary

You could go to Banff on the RM, rent a car round trip out of Banff to avoid the surcharge. Do the Icefields Parkway in both directions, which is a bonus. Only thing is, you would then probably have to take a shuttle from Banff to Calgary to avoid the Banff to Calgary one way surcharge.

Go up one forum level to the Canadian Rockies Forum and look to the right side for the Top Questions. Very helpful for researching. The Banff Forum TQs are particularly helpful as well.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,439 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver-Jasper-Banff-Calgary itinerary

A person who has travelled both the Banff and Jasper RM routes frequently as a tour guide has previously advised the Banff run is more scenic.

I like the suggestion from Mufti.

Silicon Valley, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver-Jasper-Banff-Calgary itinerary

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.

5. Re: Vancouver-Jasper-Banff-Calgary itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:17