We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper for christmas 2017

4 posts
1 review
Jasper for christmas 2017

We are a family of 4 travelling from Australia to celebrate a white Christmas. I have been looking at accommodation places that are central in jasper as we will not have a car and wanted somewhere central that isn't too far to walk in what I expect will be very cold weather. I have narrowed it down to the Park Place inn and Whistlers Inn. We would love to have a fireplace in the room, and are not too keen on places that have a double sofa bed as our son is quite tall and I think would struggle on a small and possibly uncomfortable bed, shared with his sister?.

I would love to hear any ones suggestion on their opinions on which place they would recommend or any other accomodations that are central,

18 replies to this topic
calgary
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Jasper for christmas 2017

Without a car, Jasper may not be your best choice for a white Christmas. Can I ask why you choose it over say Banff or Whistler in BC?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: Jasper for christmas 2017

I was just thinking the same. Banff is well-served by public transit and you can have a varied and lively vacation here without a car. Jasper is a lovely place, but challenging without a car.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,830 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: Jasper for christmas 2017

Those are very centrally located hotels, right in downtown Jasper. How long are you thinking of staying, and what do you plan to do while you are here? There are shuttles that can get you up to the ski hill, and tour companies can take you out of town on excursions (I would recommend the Maligne Canyon ice walk). If the weather is not too cold**, you could always walk from town out to the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, enjoy coffee or hot chocolate in the very Christmassy lounge in the lobby, then take a taxi back to town. There is also ice skating offered at JPL, on Mildred Lake, with rentals available in town or at JPL. Even if you don't skate, you might want to stroll over there, sit by the bonfire and watch the skaters, shinny hockey players etc.

** Our perception of "too cold" and yours is likely not the same. In late December, if you are lucky, we'll be having mild winter weather, with afternoon highs in the -10C range. Properly dressed, and assuming it's not very windy, being active outdoors can be quite pleasant. But we can also get what we Canadians would consider "too cold" weather, with afternoon highs around -20 or -25C.

Besides those hotels, you might also consider a private home accommodation. Some of them are very close to downtown. In particular, I'm thinking of A Little Log House Accommodation, although that is also equipped with a hide-a-bed, so that might not be ideal for your kids. They are located very close to the Park Place Inn (it's at 623 Patricia, and this home is at 712 Patricia, a half block away).

stayinjasper.com/ALittleLogHouseAccommodatio…

Another one that might suit is Bear's Den Accommodation, which has a two bedroom suite

http://www.stayinjasper.com/BearsDen.html I am not sure if there are two beds, or possibly two beds plus a hide-a-bed.

A Summit Suite Accommodation is also close to downtown on the 700 block of Patricia Street and has a two bedroom suite. They advertise that they can accommodate up to five people, so there must be at least three beds. stayinjasper.com/ASummitSuiteAccommodation.h…

Yet one more really close to downtown, also on the 700 block of Pat Street: stayinjasper.com/AllSeasonsAccommodation.html

4 posts
1 review
4. Re: Jasper for christmas 2017

Thankyou for your replies. We are coming from vancouver and catching the train to jasper. Planning to stay 3 nights and then catching a bus to banff and also planning to stay 3 nights. So we are planning to visit both jasper and banff and it just worked with our timetable that we will be in jasper for christmas. Also we had originally planned to head to whitehorse for a slim chance to see the nothern lights, but this ended up being costly and didnt fit in with our travel plans in the end. I heard that there is also a small chance of possibly seeing the northern lights from jasper? If anything we are at least hoping for clear skies to be able to enjoy the planetarium and the skies in jasper. I will have a look at the private home accomodations. Thanks Krp!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
5. Re: Jasper for christmas 2017

I hope the bus you're going to take between Jasper and Banff is the Sundog Tours shuttle. Although Greyhound runs between Jasper and Banff, they use a very long route (via Edmonton and Calgary) while Sundog takes the direct route down the Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93), the only bus to do so in winter.

4 posts
1 review
6. Re: Jasper for christmas 2017

Yes had planned to take the sundog tours shuttle from Jasper to Banff although it says they change to brewsters bus service from 1 May 2017? whats the deal with that?

Edited: 25 February 2017, 23:47
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
987 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Jasper for christmas 2017

forgive bad spelling..wrote fast as i've tried 3 times and it keeps disappearing...wrote fast

Just some random thoughts for you to consider…

I love travelling on via rail between Vancouver & Edmonton. However, there is only one line so if anything happens, such as an avalanche or ??? you could be stuck in Vancouver or along the line for 2 hours or 2 days. Bring a pillow and blankets if sleeping in economy which is fine for one night but can be cool…big seats. Bring some snacks and luiqids so you aren’t reliant upon the diner. Remember, it gets dark up here early in winter…can expect a “sunrise” around 8:30 a .m. ad “sunset” around 4:30 p.m. You’ll be looking out a black window the rest of the time. I do not recommend the Astoria or Athabasca hotels in Jasper. There are times when even Sundog can’t get through the ice field parkwayto Banff. Then you’d be looking a 13 hour greyhound bus trip.

If you chose to forget jasper this trip…you could fly into Calgary. Shuttle from airport to Banff, shuttle to any of the three ski hills, use the small ROAM public transportation and if you stay centrall, you can walk almost everywhere. Two bedroom suite at the Moose Hotel is nice and the roof top hot tubs and fire place is nice. Also check out the 2 bedroom at the best western hotel and we’ve stayed in the family suite at the Bow View Lodge. If you are going to ski at Lake Louise for a few days, you could stay there for a couple of nights to save some travelling time from Banff. Much more expenisve (hostel has a family room), limited hotel and restaurant options but good for skiing, skating or dog sledding.

8. Re: Jasper for christmas 2017

Any hotel room will do. Consider your clothing as the important thing. Smart wool socks, thick wool socks overtop, and hiking boots that are several sizes too big, leggings or long johns (for men) under pants that are wool lined with poly, undershirts of cotton, mid layer stretchy wool top, over sweater (wool), a long parka with a hood athat is 3/4 length and a size too big, wool touque, mittens, basically mountain climbing clothing. Snow pants optional. Then you can walk around the town.

You need a vehicle that is winterized - snow tires, good suspension, good battery, all repairs done if you want to drive around. You may want to go rent one and Hinton is the closest bigger city about an hour away.

The United Church has a thrift shop in the basement and I have scored some great gear there.

Also, consider you may want to acclimatize to the altitude - altitude sickness has happened to me, as Edmonton (where I'm from) is 1000ft, Jasper Town 2000 ft, Marmot basin ski resort 3000ft, top of Marmot basin 4000ft. That's some serious altitude.

Jasper is a wilderness area. Canadians spend much preparation getting their vehicles and gear ready. You only have limited daylight hours this far north at that time like the sun sets at 530 pm. Jasper is a really small town. It is a tourist place, but still retains the authentic Alberta small town feel, so I commend you for choosing it. I hope this is helpful.

Maybe some kind Canadians will shuttle you around on Christmas and show you the sights. There are Christians here, and it is Christmas!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,517 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Jasper for christmas 2017

"There are Christians here, and it is Christmas!" ... pretty sure you don't have to be a Christian to be kind.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
10. Re: Jasper for christmas 2017

Jennifer, you are very unlucky! I don't think I've heard of anyone else suffering altitude sickness when visiting the Canadian Rockies. Do you ever have problems while flying? Airplane cabin pressure is at the equivalent of 1800 - 2400m (6000 to 8000 feet). The top of Sulphur Mountain near Banff (where the gondola goes) is 2451 m, while the top of the Lake Louise gondola is 2088 m. Top elevation at Marmot Basin ski area is 2612 m, while the base is at 1698 m.

http://www.who.int/ith/mode_of_travel/cab/en/

https:/…mountain-stats

Reply to: Jasper for christmas 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jasper