We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Jasper for 4 days in August ++ Advice needed ++

Scotland
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
In Jasper for 4 days in August ++ Advice needed ++

Hey guys,

Looking for a little advice, my wife and I are spending 3 nights in Jasper on from the 13th August and leaving to Kaloopss on the 15th of August

Can you give us some good suggestions on how to spend our time in Jasper and see the best of

Day

1 Drive to jasper, see Columbia Icefields, and drive Icefields Parkway

2 visit Maligne Canyon and Maligne Lake.

3 Jasper Rodeo at night

4 Leave to kaloops

Please feel free to tear this apart and offer other suggestions to help make our trip better.

We are staying 5 days in Banff before but can reduce this to 4 days if needed to make an extra day in Jasper

Many thanks for any replies and advice to this post

Thanks in advance

Colin

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: In Jasper for 4 days in August ++ Advice needed ++

Hi Colin,

Have you booked your accomodation yet?

We spent 10 days at Jasper in spring this year and can highly recommend a place called the "Bears Den" check out their web site. This appartment is in the basement of a house 5 mins walk from the main streets in Jasper - it is like a home from home with everything you could possibly want - (if you have the larger place on offer) there is a lovely sitting room with a great dvd collection, cd payer & discs, extremely comfortable bedroom, full kitchen and bathroom - reasonable rates (I am Scottish too - hate being ripped off). There are also wooden cabins situated on Particia Lake which look great too. We were there to ski but the kids want to go back next summer. If you are into beautiful scenery and short hikes & nature - this is a fantastic place - you lucky things.

Cheers

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Jasper for 4 days in August ++ Advice needed ++

On day 2 you will be passing right by the Jasper Park Lodge on your way up to Maligne Canyon/Lake. You might consider stopping in there just to have a look around. The grounds are very nice and the Lodge has some historical value. There used to be a fish hatchery on the road up to Maligne, as kids we stopped there all the time, it was very interesting. Not sure if it's still there though.

It doesn't look like you have much planned for day 3. You could go see Athabasca Falls (if you didn't stop there on the way in). Another major attraction would be Mt. Edith Cavell/Angel Glacier, it's the same general direction as Athabasca Falls. There are a couple of pretty lakes just a few minutes up behind the town: Pyramid & Patricia Lakes.

There's also the Jasper tramway, that could be an option if you haven't done the similar attractions in Banff or Lake Louise.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
268 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Jasper for 4 days in August ++ Advice needed ++

Cadell Pond at Mt Edith Cavell was one of the real highlights of our trip last year.

Houston
Level Contributor
245 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Jasper for 4 days in August ++ Advice needed ++

I second the suggestion to hike in the Mt. Edith Cavell area--Cavell Meadows, if you are fairly fit, and Angel Glacier as an easy walk. The pond at the base of the glacier has small ice bergs floating in it and is such a surreal sight. We really enjoyed this area when we were in Jasper a couple of weeks ago.

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
958 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Jasper for 4 days in August ++ Advice needed ++

Colin

Just my 2 cents here.I am a Jasper fan over Banff so when you asked about extending your Jasper stay and shortening your Banff I am for that. The reason I prefer Jasper to Banff is because Banff is much more commercial and busy.I feel Jasper has kept the small town feeling with much more restriction in the Park as to what has been allowed to be built.The mountains to me appear closer in proximity to town in Jasper as well therefore giving the feeling of really " being " in the mountains.

If you are interested in going in the Hot Springs in the mountains I would definitly recommend the ones outside of Jasper " Miette Hot Springs ".The ones in the town of Banff has been losing their heat for years and to me are like a luke warm tub bath.The ones in Jasper are really beautiful and hot.They are east of the town site and a drive up a moutain I would say they are at least 30 mins from town but worth the drive it's gorgeous up there.You usually will see wildlife (Mountain sheep up there too).

I was to the Rodeo years ago when I lived in Jasper for a summer in my college days.It was fun and a party is to be had a night with beer gardens etc.

Something my husband and I did years ago as well was rent scooters in town .It was a fun way to see the area for a day.

Please remember when photographing wild life do so from your car.I know this seems obvious but when you get there honestly you will see people taking pictures of even a bear outside of their car.So sometimes I think people get the idea that it's ok if they get out too. DON'T !!!! It's very dangerous and also as the animals get more and more used to the people they become braver and braver and start to come closer and closer to the humans and town and sometimes end up having to be put down as a result of our infringing on their turf.

Outside of Banff between Calgary and Banff is an area called Kananaskis Country. To me not to be missed !!! It is south of the highway about 30 mins and is very beautiful .Untouched by development .Only a couple of hotels .Look up Kananaskis Village and you will see the hotel names.I love this area we spend 2 weeks each summer camping there .We will be there while you are in the area.If you decide to go to Kananaskis we would be very happy to host you at our place in the campground for an Alberta Beef (we are famous for it) Bar B Que .My husband is a great Bar B Quer.

Please private message me if you are interested in more info on anything. I am serious about the invite as well! I love to meet people and would enjoy sharing some Alberta hospitality with you both.

Shelley

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,889 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Jasper for 4 days in August ++ Advice needed ++

Although I, too, love K-Country, I think it sets inappropriate expectations when you describe it as "untouched by development". K-Country has a 36 hole golf course, an 18-hole golf course, and 1 1/2 downhill ski areas (if you count Fortress, which is on-again, off-again). There are 4 hotels in Kananaskis Village, not 2. There is also a lodge in another location, Mt Engadine Lodge. And of course the cabins on the Kananakis Lakes predate all of this.

There was a bitter battle over most of these developments, and it is probably because of the opposition put up by citizens and spearheaded by the Alberta Wilderness Association that you can think of it as being at all "untouched".

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: In Jasper for 4 days in August ++ Advice needed ++

Good points, C_W. Don't forget the other 'development' such as logging, oil and gas drilling, and off-road vehicle use. :(

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Jasper for 4 days in August ++ Advice needed ++

I second the advice to go to Miette Hot Springs. I love going there and still make an annual trip out there each year.

In particular we like ot go for a small hike while we are there. There is a path that leads to the old building and swimming pool before they built the new one. I have seen a variety of wildlife each and every time I have gone to Miette.

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
958 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Jasper for 4 days in August ++ Advice needed ++

Countrywife,

I guess I should have said RELATIVELY untouched.By any stretch is beats the hub bub of Banff or Jasper for quiet.

I'm sorry I didnt have all the facts 100% I was under the impression he was asking for advice and that was mine.

Scotland
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Jasper for 4 days in August ++ Advice needed ++

Many thanks for all your replies, I will post our full itinerary in a few days as its almost complete, we leave next Wednesday so cant wait!!

Just a quick thanks just now and I will leavea full proper post in a bit

Cheers

Get answers to your questions about Jasper