We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help planning

washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
help planning

we are an active group spending 4 days in Jasper, 2 days in Banff, and 4 days in Lake Louise. We would like to do great hikes to see natural beauty and wildlife. we are also interested in white water rafting. Looking for suggestions for hikes anywhere from 1-8 miles- 1/2 and full day hikes. We are going in early August. please provide any must sees and dos.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,420 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help planning

Parks CAnada's Jasper National Park website has good information about scenic attractions, and also an online trail conditions report:

www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/index_e.asp

Parks Canada has an informative little brochure called "Day Hiking in JNP" that has maps and trail descriptions that you can get at the Visitor Information Centre in Jasper. It's always a good idea to check at the trail office to find out about any trail closures and wildlife sightings. (Opal Hills at Maligne is currently closed because of a grizzly bear in the area, and there is a detour at Maligne Canyon between the 2nd and 3rd bridges for trail maintenance work).

Jasper Tourism & Commerce has information about rafting and other paid attractions/activities:

Using TA's handy "search" should also bring up some of the past discussions about trails. Look above and to the right of the list of messages.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,420 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help planning

Jasper Tourism & Commerce: www.jaspercanadianrockies.com

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
550 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help planning

the wilcox ridge trail across from the columbia icefields has wonderful views plus mt wilcox is a easy to moderate scramble..also helen lake trail across from crow foot glacier is very sceinic...climb the ridge behind the lake and take in the marmott show..did see a mom grizzly and year old cub on the way back...a good guide for hiking trails in the area is..Dont waste your time in the rockies...enjoy

NJ
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help planning

wilcox pass is an excellent little hike - hoperfully i'll be hiking it on 8/11.. In Jasper i am looking at the opal hills hike or the bald hills hike, thinking about taking the tram at whistlers and then hiking to the peak.

(i've already been to clavell meadows area is beautiful so you may want to go there) I am doing 5 days in jasper and 5 in lake louise in mid august. i plan on kayaking on maligne lake, doing a guided icewalk on athabasca glacier. you may want to white water raft out of jasper as well

when in lake louise, aside from hiking to a tea house, you may want to canoe on the lake (don't know if they have kayaks now) you might also consider a trip to yoho some really spectacular scenery and hiking to be had ice line trail, see Takakkaw Falls

fyi, late night august 12 if you are still there, perseids meteor shower will put on a show.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,420 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help planning

Pal0242, before you go hike the Opal Hills, you'll want to check with the trail office or the online trail conditions report. Opal is currently closed because a grizzly bear is using the area. This is a fairly common occurrance up there - that area has lots of ground squirrels and lots of good vegetation for a bear to munch on - and closures sometimes last all summer. I was lucky enough to get up there the week before it closed - didn't see any bears! (thankfully)

Alberta
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help planning

Bald hills has great scenery, we just hiked it 3 weeks ago.

7. Re: help planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 15:34
Get answers to your questions about Jasper