We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Banff route motels/hotels advice

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver to Banff route motels/hotels advice

We've done fly drives in USA before and there's plenty of budget motels around. Is it the same in Canada? We're thinking of flying into Vancouver and out of Calgary the first fortnight of September. Is it best to work out a route and pre book hotels/motels or is there plenty of budget ones to just call in on the way? This will keep us a bit more flexible. We've stayed with family before in Vancouver and done a ski holiday in Banff but never toured around in this area and I want to see Jasper, Yoho and some of the Rockies in the summer.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to Banff route motels/hotels advice

Hotels in Jasper during the busy summer tourist season start at C$200 per night (plus 9% tax) - and that's at two of the older hotels in the centre of town (small rooms, bar/tavern below). Most of the others are more, like $220 to 250 and up, for a standard hotel/motel room. I guess this is because of supply and demand - a limited supply (because Jasper is in a national park, where development is limited/controlled) and a high demand (2 million visitors per year, most of them from June to September).

A more economical option is private home accommodation - a rooms or a suite in a resident's home. Many are self-contained and private, some offer breakfast (B&B): www.stayinjasper.com A room for two with a private bath will run about $80 to $100 on average, and usually no taxes.

The first week of September is normally still very busy, usually considered part of the high season, but lots of people travel this itinerary as you are thinking - booking just a few days ahead. The first weekend of September is a holiday weekend in Canada (the Monday is "Labour Day"), and accommodation in Jasper usually sells out on summer long weekends (and resorts in general get VERY busy), so I would definitely book ahead for then.

If you are coming to Jasper outside of that weekend, there are daily vacancy lists posted for both hotels and private home accommodations at the visitor centre, and courtesy phones so you can call around to book something. If you plan to do this, I'd advise arriving early-ish in the day (before 4 pm), as the visitor centre gets very crowded and busy after that time (and there's less selection of vacancies). If you are travelling with a computer, you can check the online vacancy lists - the home accommodation one is at the site I listed above; the hotel one is at Jasper Tourism's site: www.jaspercanadianrockies.com .

Hope this helps. Enjoy your tour through the Rockies!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to Banff route motels/hotels advice

wow, thanks so much for this. It's just what I needed. A room in a house would be perfect.

3. Re: Vancouver to Banff route motels/hotels advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 09:20