We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Edmonton to Jasper-first day itinerary

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kansas
Level Contributor
161 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Edmonton to Jasper-first day itinerary

We will leave Edmonton in the morning to go to Jasper. I understand it is about a 5 hour drive. We will pass by Miette Hot Springs and have heard there are good hikes there and of course the Hot Springs. Sounds fun. Any good easy/moderate hikes there? Would it be too dark?

I believe Maligne Canyon and Lake are right next to

Jasper so we could to the Canyon Hike the next day.

maybe go all the way to Maligne Lake (Is the a must see over other sights around Jasper?

Our departure day to Lake Louise would be to go to Cavell Meadows and hike Path of the glacier, see

the falls along the Athabasca Highway, do the Columbia Glacier Experience, See Peyote Lake and

make stops along Athabasca Highway and Crash at Lake Louise. Okay that seems like a lot maybe I

can put some of this in a prior days itinerary or cut something out. Feel free to opine.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Jasper-first day itinerary

Your travel time to Jasper will depend where in Edmonton you are staying/leaving from. From the west side of Edmonton, it's about 3:45 driving time straight to Jasper.

It actually takes about an hour to get to Maligne Lake from Jasper. If you are coming from the East (Edmonton/Miette) it would take about 50 minutes once you turn off the highway and cross the bridge near the Jasper Park Lodge.

The Cavell Meadows hike may take up a fair bit of time so you may end up starting out on the Icefields Parkway a little later than you expect.

As far as it being too dark, depends when you are coming. We just had the longest day of the year, daylight till quite late 9:30/10ish depending which mountain you're behind. It's now started it's gradual decline to shorter days.

I'm not sure of the travel time up to Miette but it's not just beside the highway, you have to take the road up to it.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,148 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Jasper-first day itinerary

The Cavell Meadows trail is not open for the season yet.... but somehow, from what you wrote, I think what you meant was that you want to go up to Mt. Edith Cavell and hike the Path of the Glacier trail - ? You will be able to do that. Actually, the beginning of the Cavell Meadows trail is open - you can go up the side of the moraine, and along the edge of the forest (there are pikas and marmots there), but the trail is closed once you go into the forest and start up the switchbacks.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Jasper-first day itinerary

Miette is 17 kilometers off the highway, not sure what the speed limit is.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,249 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Jasper-first day itinerary

Miette is one on my favorite spots and hikes in the world. The drive off the road is beautiful and very windy and I think the limit is around 50 KM. the Sulfer Mountain Skykine hike is a full half day.

Here's some info about trail conditions

www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tcond/cond_e.asp…

Check in at the Parks Canada office in Jassper, they are exceedingly helpful.

Maligne Lake is a bit of a drive. we like the Opal Hill trail,nearby, but it has been frequiently closed during our visits because of Grizzly activitiy.

hikejasper.com/Hiking-Opal-Hills-in-Jasper.h…

You've got a lot packed in there. I would say, give yourself a chance to aclimatize. Stay flexible. If you end up having to cut back a bit on quantity here and there be assured that the quality of the area will more than make up for it.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,249 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Jasper-first day itinerary

I meant winding, not windy....but it can get windy too :)

6. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Jasper-first day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2010, 05:16