We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Jasper by Car

Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Jasper by Car

Hello

My husband and I will be hiring a car from either Vancouver or Calgary to tour the above area from 6th May for a week, can you tell me what sort of conditions we should expect? After reading TA advise we will most probably fly from Vancouver to Calgary (flights are quite expensive at this time) and start from here. Will we still get to see most of these area's, not hiking just touring and sightseeing?

Thankyou Once Again for all of your help.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,669 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Jasper by Car

Early May is early spring in the Rockies - consider that the deciduous trees in the area do not leaf out until after the middle/toward the end of the month, and the glacial lakes (which are at higher elevations) are usually at least partially frozen into the first week of June (no boat cruise at Maligne Lake until about June 4th). It's actually a little too early for much hiking, other than the trails in the valley bottoms - the subalpine and higher trails will still be snowbound. But many, if not most, visitors to the area mostly just tour by car anyway, or only take short walks.

The route between Calgary or Vancouver and the Canadian Rocky Mountain parks is a well-travelled and much discussed itinerary here, although because of the geographic scope of it, the information is scattered among many forums. I would suggest browsing recent posts in the following: Canadian Rockies, Alberta, Banff, Jasper, Whistler, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Kamloops etc. If you have been watching airfares, you have probably found www.westjet.com and www.aircanada.com - have you signed up for their notifications re: seat sales? I'd watch for early May reduced fares in late February and March.

The forum "search" function will bring up loads of useful information. (Look for it just above the list of messages). Also, the TA "Traveler Articles" and "Top Questions" have a lot of helpful info. Go to the TA page for whatever destination you need advice, then look on the left hand side of the page, and you'll see the Traveller Articles, starting with "More on ...", "Before you go", "Things to Do", etc. Top Question are found in the top right corner.

Online maps can be very useful in laying out your itinerary - they have "directions" features which will give you mileage and driving times between stops. Try www.mapquest.com or www.maps.google.com .

Online resources that will be useful for the Rockies -

The Jasper and Banff/Lake Louise tourism offices:

www.jaspercanadianrockies.com

www.banfflakelouise.com

Parks Canada: www.pc.gc.ca - pick whichever park you want info for (Banff, Jasper, Yoho & Kootenay; once you are at the park's page, you'll see a menu down the left - choose "Visitor information"). Also, when you enter the park and pay your fee, you will be given an informative booklet that has information for all four parks.

Also, one of the main attractions in the area is the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper on a highway known as the Icefields Parkway - www.icefieldsparkway.ca . Although only about 225 km long, I usually recommend making a full day of it, stopping at the many scenic viewpoints, lakes, waterfalls along the way.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 14 January 2010, 05:25
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,439 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Jasper by Car

G'day again RossWendy,

As krp stated some areas will still be closed, as some still were for us in the first week in June on our visit, but you will most certainly be able to see much of the wonderful scenery that makes up these great areas, and most probably wildlife as well.

If you only have a week I recommend flying in/out Calgary and split your time between Banff and Jasper.

Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Jasper by Car

Thankyou so much for Info, I copy and paste everything and read and read all advise, putting it into individual envelopes to take with us on our travels..

fti the Alaskan travel plans are well on the way, thanks to so much info on TA. now I will be on the Western Canada sights preparing for this part of our journey, so dont go away :). Thankyou once again.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,439 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Jasper by Car

Mmmmmm

RossWendy, you are on the Alberta forum. Perhaps fti might see your message if you posted it on the Alaska forum. (wink)

Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Jasper by Car

hehe the reason I put it on here was because i wanted to thank you as well, for all the great info you have given us, so dont go away... :)

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring Jasper by Car

Keep checking the Westjet and AirCanada websites routinely. Seat sales are a frequent thing. If you are only going to Jasper - flying to Edmonton is an option.

Hint: I think there is a WestJet seat sale right now. Though flying within Canada is generally very expensive.

Edited: 15 January 2010, 18:58
7. Re: Touring Jasper by Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 05:18