We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper in January Festival info?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jasper in January Festival info?

Hi all. My wife and I will be arriving in Jasper on the Canadian train from Vancouver on the morning of Saturday, Jan. 28th. I didn't realize there's a festival in town that ends the next day but it seems like a good way to experience the local colo(u)r. Does anyone have first hand experience with the festival? The official website is sort of vague, they list the activities and times but don't give much detail. During the festival is there transportation provided between Jasper and Maligne Canyon or other areas such as the Park Lodge or the Pyramid Riding Stables, for instance?

That brings me to another question. Originally we were returning to Vancouver via rail, but now have decided to make our way down to Banff so we can see the Icefield Parkway and hopefully Lake Louise, and then head to Calgary from Banff for a flight to Vancouver. We don't have a lot of time unfortunately, we'd like to get back to Vancouver on Tuesday the 31st. Would it be recommended to take one of the private shuttles down to Banff from Jasper (missing Lake Louise I suppose) to enjoy the view w/o worrying about driving, and then take an airport shuttle to Calgary on the 31st, or should we consider renting a car in Jasper and dropping it off in Calgary? It looks like the costs may be similar, about $200 for a one way car rental for a few days or that much for the two shuttles we'd need.

TIA,

Joe

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jasper in January Festival info?

Renting a car would be the best, as it will allow you to stop along the way to take pictures, see frozen waterfalls, go for walks, make some sidetrips etc. There is a lot of great scenery between Jasper and Lake Louise, and it is best explored at your own pace. The rental car will also come in handy for local transport around the Banff and Jasper townsites.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jasper in January Festival info?

Hi,

You should review posts in the Alberta forum by Judy_in_Calgary. She has a vast amount of useful info on the Jasper, LL and Banff areas. She also has her own website (which you should find an address for in her previous posts) which is awesome. TONS of info on the areas you are interested in.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jasper in January Festival info?

Further to my previous post, Judy's website is located at:

…msn.com/CalgaryandCanadianRockiesTravelTips

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jasper in January Festival info?

Hi Joe,

The Jasper in January "festival" is an annual marketing event - you can find info on Jasper Tourism & Commerce's website at www.jaspercanadianrockies.com. Not to knock JiJ... there are some really good deals on ski lift tickets and hotel rooms (but private home accommodation or B&Bs are still cheaper), but it's not a festival in terms of a cultural event that the local residents get involved in but rather a marketing event designed to bring skiers to Jasper during the slow spell after Christmas, when most people are probably trying to pay off bills and can't afford to take a skiing/boarding get-away.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jasper in January Festival info?

Thanks for the info. KRP, that's sort of the feeling I got from the festival website. We probably won't do any skiing while we're there but hopefully get some snowshoeing in, a visit to Maligne Canyon, etc.

We did end up renting a car from National Car Rental. For a one way rental it was quite reasonable, ~$100 for a 36 hr period. Seems like the best way to go.

Joe