We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

27' RV on road to Mt Edith Cavell

Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Topic
27' RV on road to Mt Edith Cavell

I read (with dismay) that large RVs (over 20') are not able to use the road to Mt Edith Cavell because parts are narrow and windy.

Just wondering if it is worth driving part of the way (before the switchbacks) - are there any lookouts or walking trails with adequate parking in this section?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,181 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 27' RV on road to Mt Edith Cavell

The narrowest, most winding section of switchbacks on the road is right at the beginning of the Cavell Road, where it turns off from #93A. There are three or four turns that are almost 180 degrees each, then the road straightens out somewhat. There is only one look-out, about halfway up, and then, near the top, there is the Astoria River backpacking trail that starts from parking across from the hostel, and then about a kilometre further, the parking lot at the very top for the Cavell day use area, where the Cavell Meadows and Path of the Glacier trails are.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,016 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 27' RV on road to Mt Edith Cavell

Definitely not for RVs. You'll have to look at getting a taxi from town to get you up there, or just park in the lot at the bottom and see if you can catch a lift up the road!

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 27' RV on road to Mt Edith Cavell

Hi MASAustralia

It is disappointing - we have similar issues - we will have 24ft rv and I still have not worked out how we are going to get up there - I did remember someone say something about a tour up there but I have lost the reference - if anyone has any info regarding this it would be great. I don't really fancy the expense of a taxi and hitchiking with two teenage boys, one broken down husband and me (with my two walking pole and a stuffed knee) - well I don't hold out much hope of a lift - LOL.

cheers

Kiwi

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,181 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 27' RV on road to Mt Edith Cavell

The only tours that I am aware of that go up to Mt. Edith Cavell are guided hiking tours (including transportation by van), not sightseeing tours. There are various local companies that offer theses, but they are not cheap - usually about $50 - $75 per person for a half-day. At least one of the taxi companies in Jasper offers sightseeing/touring as well - "Mr. Taxi & Tours", I would suggest contacting them for pricing.

There was also some discussion recently on one of the forums regarding the Takkakkaw Falls road in Yoho National Park that is tricky to drive with a larger vehicle... someone mentioned that navigating those switchbacks requires reversing, and that there were signs with instructions. It's been some time since I was there and I don't remember the specifics but I did find a photo online (second on this page): angelfire.com/mt/…takkakkawfalls.html

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 27' RV on road to Mt Edith Cavell

MASAustralia & 4kiwitravellers, you should really compare notes. If you're both in Jasper at the same time, you might be able to share the costs of a taxi or a rental car. I know the odds are low, but you might be lucky!

Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 27' RV on road to Mt Edith Cavell

Thanks guys for your help, especially krp329 for the heads up on Takkakkaw falls .... so disappointing.

I wish we had just hired a car instead of a RV now, but at the time I thought it would be more economical. I have since read on these forums that it probably isn't at all ... I could kick myself! Ah well, I'm still going to enjoy Canada!

4kiwitravellers, We are in Jasper mid June, good luck on your travels.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,181 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 27' RV on road to Mt Edith Cavell

Hopefully the Cavell Road will be open when you are here, MAS. It normally opens about mid-June ... it has been a particularly snowy winter this year though.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 27' RV on road to Mt Edith Cavell

Hi MasAustralia

We miss you - we are there mid july. But don't be sorry about renting an RV. Having a car and staying at motels is good too - you can go places RV's cant BUT with an RV you can stay places those in cars/motels won't be able to.

We love the whole expereince - camping out, having a campfire, sleeping in the van and listening to the sounds around as you settle down for the night and waking up in the morning to open the RV door to nature. We love the whole national park thing - the ranger programmes during the day and the evening programes as well. And just the whole national park experience for example - Opened the door of our RV one time in Yellowstone to find a bison on the other side! (no window in door). Yes an RV can have its draw backs as can car/motel travel - you just enjoy the experience you get and work around the limitations. I am going to price the taxi option but if we don't make it to those two places there is SO MUCH MORE to see anyway. If you find away around the whole problem would appreciate a post on TA.

cheers

Kiwi

Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 27' RV on road to Mt Edith Cavell

Hi 4kiwitravellers,

Thanks for your words of encouragement - you're quite right of course, I was just feeling a little frustrated!

Will let you know if we find a solution, though from what krp329 says, the road may still be closed anyway when we are there.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 27' RV on road to Mt Edith Cavell

Hi, I am heading there end of this month, probably going to hire a 19 feet caravan or even smaller van conversion, wonder if there are any road access limitation on these kind of "medium" vehicle?

thanks

Get answers to your questions about Jasper