We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

icefields parkway drive

Sunderland
Level Contributor
437 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
icefields parkway drive

Right then. Thanks to Trip Advisor I now have Banff and Jasper just about set in my mind, so now for the big drive! We do intend to spend the full day on a stop start journey and I understand it is important to have picnic food aplenty and a full tank of fuel? So, which viewpoints do we stop off at? The obvious please as well as perhaps some less well known gems. We are restricted in our walking, having our two year old with us, and Grandma too, but we would like to make the absolute most of this probable once in a lifetime drive. Thanks!

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: icefields parkway drive

Obvious stops along the route are (In order travelling North):

Bow Lake - Beautiful scenery. Short walk along lake. Nice lodge with store.

Peyto Lake - 15 minute walk uphill to view point. Not to be missed.

Mistaya Canyon Trail. 30-40 minute walk to the canyon.

Bridal Falls viewpoint. - stop at side of road.

Columbia Ice Fields. Stop for a few hours and take an ice coach tour onto the glacier

Sunwapta Falls - 15 minute walk to falls

Athabasca Falls - very short trail to falls and down to river.

Meeting of the waters (on 93A)

If you are planning on driving in both directions then do half of the stops on the way up and the others on the way back.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: icefields parkway drive

There are also lots of signs alerting you to scenic points and safe roadside stops for you to get out and visit, take pictures. Most of the time you will not be alone, the traffic might be enough to alert you to stops too.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,134 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: icefields parkway drive

I just drove it today and its always spectacular. Re: food, there are a few places to stop however the food is pricey. My favorite lunch stop is at Sunwapta Falls resort as the food is all home made and much better than what you'd find at Saskatchewan Crossing or the Icefield Center.

Be sure to slow down if you see cars parked on the side of the road. its the normal indication that wildlife is in the area. Today we saw a grizzly bear, a black bear, Mountain goats and bighorn sheep, Elk, deer and a marten. Best day for sightings in several trips. Loved the Ice Explorer and the sun was out and ideal weather.

4. Re: icefields parkway drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 06:20