We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Maligne Canyon changed much?

Southampton, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Has Maligne Canyon changed much?

We caught a news report last year stating that Maligne area had bush fires. Does anyone know if there was much damage to the area?

saw
calgary
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has Maligne Canyon changed much?

I have not heard of any bush fires in that particular area. I live in Alberta. Was hiking there late August 2004 and it was beautiful as always.

Southampton, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has Maligne Canyon changed much?

Thanks for that info.

Inaccurate news reporting back home. I also heard that Kamloops and Kelowna were also affected , i am now wondering how true these reports are.

we will visit there again

I agree about it being beautiful, its our fourth time back to the rockies.

Trouble is once you go somewhere you really like, nothing else compares.

You Canadians sure are lucky.

Diane & Mark Pope Southampton UK

saw
calgary
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has Maligne Canyon changed much?

It is true that there were very large fires at Kelowna (a number of houses burned down) and elsewhere in the interior of BC ( this was summer 2003). Still there are no shortage of trees and scenery. Yes we are lucky to be so close by - I can be in the mountains in less than an hour and enjoy them many weekends. Have to remember not to take them for granted!

Enjoy your next trip.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has Maligne Canyon changed much?

Very little damage in and around Maligne Lake in summer 2003. We did a boat trip on the lake and there was evidence of a small burn that had apparently been caused by some idiot trying to cook the trout he had just caught!! As previous post has said there was severe damage around Kamloops / Kelowna but we didn't visit that area.

canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has Maligne Canyon changed much?

Hi Diamark...i go to jasper quite a bit ,the fires that you mention were near the entrance to the national park, noticable damage to the forest along the road a few miles from the park gate to jasper .this is only for a mile , no fire damage near maligne canyon or lake that i saw.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
553 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has Maligne Canyon changed much?

The parks people were doing some controlled burns throughout different parts of the park. This helps in "fire-proofing" to some extent, helps return valuable vegetation(yes plants do grow back after a fire) to help the wildlife and is a natural aspect of the ecosystem that has to a large extent been suppressed.

I would guess some areas were burnt more than anticipated but nothing that would be too serious. This will help aleviate the potential for larger catastrophic fires that were seen in other parts of BC the past few years.

Here is a link explaining a bit more …gov.bc.ca/protect/burning/prescribedfire.htm

Fire can add beauty to area in the future, one just has to look.

Southampton, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Has Maligne Canyon changed much?

Hi Mooseboy

Thanks for your your reply.

We do know about prescribed burns, i think the reason we were asking is because the great british press (not) had made out it was not through a prescribed burn.

I do agree with your last comment, as to see something literally come alive again from the above is great.

Thanks

counting the days till our next visit

Diamark

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,651 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has Maligne Canyon changed much?

Hi,

The fire along the highway that was referred to is called the Syncline Ridge burn, named after the ridge where it is located. It started out as a prescribed burn in May of 2003, but was not extinguished as expected by the usually rainy month of June. After a hot dry summer, it burst alive again on the August long weekend as a wildfire, closing the highway for a few short spells, and eventually wound up burning 20 km up the Rocky River valley. It wasn't put out completely until the snow came that winter, and even come the next spring, they were monitoring to be sure that it wasn't still smoldering underground.

HTH.

Southampton, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Has Maligne Canyon changed much?

Thanks KRP329

Ist nice to know the history behind these situations, and thank-you for your reply.

Counting down the time to your beautiful country.

Diamark