We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper town or National Park?

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Jasper town or National Park?

There are 4 of us staying in Jasper for 3 nights in July. I am wondering if it is better to stay in the town or in the National Park? We have a car. We will probably go for a few 'short' walks/hikes and would also like to see the town. We would prefer not to be somewhere isolated.

Many thanks in advance!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,093 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jasper town or National Park?

I'm not sure I understand your question, Anon. Most of the accommodation in Jasper National Park is in the Jasper townsite. Also, what would make you think of a location as "isolated"?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,726 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jasper town or National Park?

Jasper townsite is right in the middle of the national park. Most of the accommodations in the park are in the town, but there are a few outlying accommodations (cabin style) - some of which are within 2 to 10 km of the town, some of which are 40 - 50 kilometres away. You can find all the commercial accommodations listed at www.jasper.travel , and private home accommodations and B&Bs (which are all in town, and significantly cheaper than hotels) at www.stayinjasper.com .

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
139 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jasper town or National Park?

It does totally depend on your definition of "isolated". My personal favourite accomodation in Jasper is Becker's Chalets, which is just a few km's south of the town. There's 3 or 4 similar places along the way, but I can't think of names right now....Tekarra Lodge?

North of town a few km's is the Pyramid Lake Resort, and I believe the Patricia Lake Bungalows.

What these places have in common is that they're just a few minutes drive into town, but they'll have spectacular views, and you'll really feel like you're in a national park. Unless you'll be spending the vast majority of your time in the townsite, I'd opt for something just outside.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,726 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jasper town or National Park?

Further to Linco's info in the post above, besides Tekarra Lodge, there is also Alpine Village (both on 93A, within 2 km of town), and Jasper House Bungalows is located another kilometre or two further on (about 3 km from town), on the Icefields Parkway on the way to Becker's (which is about 6 or 8 km south of town). Pine Bungalows is just outside of town, off highway 16 at the east entrance to town.

The ones that are further out are Pocahontas Bungalows (on highway 16 about 35 - 40 km east of town) and Sunwapta Falls Bungalows (now "Lodge"), about 55 km south of town.

Pyramid Lake Resort was until recently part of the Coast hotels brand, but has just been purchased by Mountain Park Lodges, which owns several other hotels, including Pocahontas Bungalows. MPL is now the largest hotel group in the park - collectively they have more hotel rooms than the Fairmont JPL.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jasper town or National Park?

The town of Jasper is the best spot to be situated for a visit to Jasper National Park. Pack a picnic, get in the car and find an adventure!

There are plenty of places to visit - like the Maligne Lake Area, the Edith Cavell Road and right in town the smaller lakes of Pyramid Lake, Lake Edit and Lake Annette. Hiking trails abound, you'll want to consult with the Information Centre to find a trail that suites your needs. You can also enjoy a longer drive along the Icefields Parkway as a daytrip. No trip to the Canadian Rockies is complete without a trip to the Icefields Centre and the Columbia Icefields.

www.explorerockies.com

Are you also planning on a drive to Banff? 3 days is also perfect for a visit to the Banff and Lake Louise area.

6. Re: Jasper town or National Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 11:17