We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storms Retreat Jasper

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Storms Retreat Jasper

We recently stayed here in July 2012 and absolutely loved our stay. I can't seem to get a listing of this place on the accommodation page and thus listed it here.

The room is only 6 months old and beautifully decorated. You have absolute privacy with your own entrance. The location is perfect and a brief 2 min walk to Patricia St where most of the restaurants are located. The town's laundromat and grocery store is also there.

They even provided Netflix (which was great since it rained one day when we were there), free wifi as well as your personal telephone lines if you are expecting calls. Plus, they even prepared hiking poles if you forgot your own! We stayed there for 4 nights and couldnt bear to leave.

http://www.bbcanada.com/13404.html

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,694 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Storms Retreat Jasper

It's great that you want to have this added to TripAdvisor! In future, the best way to submit new listings is to follow the directions on this page from the Help Center:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/help

(There is a tiny link to the Help Center at the bottom of every TripAdvisor page.)

However, I'll submit this one for you today and with any luck it will be on TripAdvisor in about a week.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,694 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Storms Retreat Jasper

Blast, I just got a message from TA stating that the listing was declined as not meeting listing criteria. I suspect that they thought it was a vacation rental, or else didn't have enough units to qualify as a B&B.

Krp329, you're familiar with PHAs. What's the best way to get them through TA's hoops? Or is there one?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,809 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Storms Retreat Jasper

I don't know, Country_Wife. There are a number of one-room PHAs and B&Bs listed on TA. I know of one that the owners tried to get listed, with no luck, and then years later, the hosts were surprised to see it pop up and start to collect reviews ... somehow a guest was able to get it added even though the owners were not. I think perhaps TA assesses them on a case-by-case basis.

Just checked the Help Centre, which lists the criteria, and does mention a case-by-case basis for some one unit B&Bs. Storms' Retreat should be able to get listed, since they have onsite staff (owners) and (should) offer daily housekeeping (both are required of PHAs and B&Bs in Jasper): http://www.tripadvisor.ca/help/owners (question #3, "How can I get listed?")

Perhaps ancyancy should contact TA about adding Storms' Retreat, since as a guest, she can confirm that they met the criteria, and weren't a vacation rental - ?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Storms Retreat Jasper

Actually they do not provide daily housekeeping, so maybe that is why they are rejected for listing. But it is a great stay!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,809 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Storms Retreat Jasper

Interesting ... the local licensing regulations, and their association membership (which is required by the licensing regulations), require them to provide daily housekeeping.

Den Bosch, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Storms Retreat Jasper

Hi Ancyancy,

What a great surprise! I just stayed at Storms Retreat and I am a Singaporean!

Anyway, like you, I wanted to give Storms Retreat a rating on Tripadvisor but they are not listed.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,809 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Storms Retreat Jasper

An update, in regards to listing Jasper one-unit PHAs here on TripAdvisor... after a similar thread popped up recently here in the forums, I recently tried to have Cottonwood Suite added so that the person on that thread could post a review. However, I got a message back from TA saying it did not meet their critieria. I suspect that now that TA sells paid listings for Flipkey "vacation rentals" (and some PHAs are listed both among the vacation rental paid listings and the B&B/Inn free listings), that they want these places to go with a paid listing.

Private home accommodations are very similar to Bed and Breakfast, except that they do not provide breakfast. There are a few that have had the provincial health inspector come through and who have an Alberta Food Permit and are able to offer breakfast - all of these in Jasper have a permit for continental breakfast only (no hot foods).

Unlike a vacation rental, where the keys are turned over to the visitors with no more service expected from the hosts, PHAs are supposed to offer daily housekeeping and there is an expectation of "hospitality", i.e. that the hosts are available to assist, answer questions etc.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 20:31
8. Re: Storms Retreat Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 05:17