We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help with Lodging Decision -- A/C needed in July?

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help with Lodging Decision -- A/C needed in July?

I will be staying in the town of Jasper July 2-4. I am trying to decide between staying at the Best Western Inn & Suites (with no air-conditioning) or the Chateau Jasper (which does have air-conditioning).

Having read several reviews of each hotel, it appears that the average daytime highs in July vary between 70F and 80F (20C to 30C).

Should I go with the A/C option or not? Also, any advice as to which hotel would be better would be appreciated (as far as facilities, best views, and quiet location).

Thanks in advancd for your help!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,747 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help with Lodging Decision -- A/C needed in July?

Not one single home in Jasper has air conditioning, and only a very few hotels do, since the number of days when you might need it is few and far between. Nights are cold here in the mountains - the normal overnight low is between 40 and 50F. However, getting the cool air to circulate through a hotel room can be a bit difficult, since you usually only have one window you can open (although if you have one of the suite/loft units at the JI, you will have multiple windows to open . If you are here during a heat wave (and we do get them occasionally), you may wish you had a/c, but normally it is not an issue.

In terms of comparison of those two hotels, they are neighbours to each other at the north end of town, in an area with several other hotels, and a residential area right across the street, so basically equal in terms of location.

I wouldn't choose either of them for views. The regular rooms (non loft units) at the JI are in a building at the back of the property, behind the two storey building along the street which has the loft units. The rooms at the back, which face an undeveloped, treed lot and Pyramid Bench, a hill/terrace behind town. have no view (other than that of a forested hillside); some of the loft units would have distant views of the Colin Range of limestone peaks to the east, and Signal Mountain across the valley from rooms facing the front (southeast), the ones facing onto Bonhomme Street would have a view of The Whistlers to the west.

Most of the Chateau's rooms face either side of the hotel, and if my memory serves me, there is a screen of pine trees on either side between the Chateau, and the hotels on either side (Lobstick Lodge to the north, JI to the south). You could use "streetview" on google maps to get an idea of what the views look like from the street in front of the hotels - have a look at this: http://goo.gl/maps/xWYC4

Both have a pool and an onsite restaurant, so are basically equivalent in that regard too. The Chateau is the newer of the two hotels (built in 1982.... it was brand new when I first came to town, and way back then, I worked at each of them too) but I haven't been in the rooms at either of them now for many years, and don't know which one has "refreshed" their rooms most recently. The impression I've had from reading reviews here on TA is that they both could use it.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help with Lodging Decision -- A/C needed in July?

Thanks for your quick and detailed reply, Krp. I appreciate the information. It would be my luck that there would be a heat wave during my visit. So to be safe, I guess I will book the property with A/C. I would not have even questioned it unless I had seen two complaints from previous July visitors about how warm their rooms were at the Best Western Jasper Inn, even with the fans on.

I am looking forward to my visit to the beautiful Canadian Rockies!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help with Lodging Decision -- A/C needed in July?

Honestly, anyone who can handle a July day in Charleston will find the hottest July day in Jasper no problems whatsoever. ;-)

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,747 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help with Lodging Decision -- A/C needed in July?

LOL, Terry. But actually, Jasper can get quite warm.... we can get temps up to 34C (93F), but it's usually dry and not humid.

SC, you've probably just guaranteed that you'll be here during cold weather.... like in mid-July a couple of years ago, when we had a storm come through that dumped more than a foot of snow in the high country, and although there was rain and only a few flakes in town, the high temp that day was 8C (46F). However, I should add that weather that cold is quite rare at that time of year!

Edited: 02 March 2013, 21:34
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help with Lodging Decision -- A/C needed in July?

Believe me krp329, Jasper's hottest July day can't touch Southern Carolina's coldest July day. We're talking a humid subtropical climate. It's brutal.

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,108 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help with Lodging Decision -- A/C needed in July?

When I lived in Houston many years ago, the best way of coping with hot humid summer weather (and vile air pollution) was to stay indoors with the air conditioning on.

However, no doubt SC natives are made of tougher stuff. I think Krp is probably right, there will probably be freakishly cold weather just to inconvenience the OP to the max...

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,529 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help with Lodging Decision -- A/C needed in July?

I was there last July and hit a humid nite but the beauty of the rockies is no matter how hot is gets in daytime the automatic a/c kicks in when the sun goes down.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help with Lodging Decision -- A/C needed in July?

Hahaha! You guys and gals crack me up! One of the reasons I am visiting the Canadian Rockies in July is because I really do not like the hot and humid weather in Charleston in the summer. I actually love cold weather.

I was in Glacier National Park in July a couple of years ago and it started snowing at Logan's Pass. I have been snowmobiling in Yellowstone in February when the temps were -40. You learn in school that -40 is the only place on the temperature scale where Celcius and Fahrenheit meet...and I have a photo standing quite comfortably by such a thermometer in Montana. Give me a sub-zero day any time before a day warmer than 80F!

So bring on the refreshing and invigoratingly cool weather in July! I can hardly wait to send Facebook pics back to my friends in South Carolina this summer while I am playing in the snow on the Columbia Icefields.

But just in case...I better have my A/C while in Jasper. :-)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help with Lodging Decision -- A/C needed in July?

You have a great attitude. Have a gas...

Cheers,

Terry

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help with Lodging Decision -- A/C needed in July?

Looks like A/C in Jasper will be a necessity next week. The current forecast calls for a high of 98F on Wednesday, July 3rd! Unprecedented heat for the Canadian Rockies, is it not? I understand the "normal high" is around 70F. But this is obviously not a normal year in Alberta.

Here is a link from the Weather Channel:

www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail5/CAXX0205