We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper in Early June 2013

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Jasper in Early June 2013

Anyone know if we'll be able to hike in JNP in early June? (we are not mountaineers and won't hike in snow, bad weather). Two years ago we went to Glacier in mid-July and things were just startgin to melt at higher elevs. Also, we have two 9-yr old girls. I am TERRIFIED of hiking in bear country (uable to sleep past few nights just thinking about it). Are we more likely to run into bears in the very early summer? Lastly, we have booked a cabin @ Alpine Village Cabins (all we could find). Any comments on this place (I have read reviews on TA). Thanks

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,828 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jasper in Early June 2013

Well I guess I have bad news for you. Because of the snow lingering at the higher elevations, most of the critters are concentrated in the valleys and at lower elevations on the slopes at that time of year. That's where new spring growth is, so all the herbivores are there - deer, elk etc. (by the way, bears apparently eat an 85% plant-based diet, so this includes them too), and of course, where there are deer and elk, their predators will be around too. Also, the elk calving season runs approx. mid-May to mid-June, and grizzly bears and other predators hunt in elk calving areas.

No matter where you go in "bear country", there is always a chance of encountering a bear - even in town (occasionally). Out on the trails, bear encounters happen but only very rarely is there even any kind of problem. In fact, statistically speaking - and you are coming at the most dangerous time of year for this - elk are the most dangerous animal in the parks. Incidents beyond a scare don't happen very often, but people have been very seriously injured by elk. Cows with newborns can be extremely aggressive.

But if you are afraid of bears to the extent that you are already losing sleep, I'm not sure that you will be able to enjoy a hike, and if you do encounter a bear, it is important that you remain calm and handle the kids so that they behave appropriately. So perhaps you might want to consider hiring a hiking guide... s/he can choose a trail where there is less chance of an encounter, and will be a set of experienced eyes for your family. Also, the larger a group, the less chance a bear will react aggressively to an encounter.

It may help to have a different perspective though - consider that the most dangerous activity you will be doing on your holiday is driving in a car.

Alpine Village is a lovely property, very well-kept, a family business run by nice people, and gets consistently high reviews here on TripAdvisor. It's also a great spot for seeing elk and is located near calving areas along the Athabasca River; some of the nearby trails are usually closed for that reason at that time of year. Early June is not a busy time of year for tourism in Jasper, so I am not sure why this was "all you could find" - although, hmmm, it just occurs to me, perhaps you will be here June 1, when the Banff-Jasper Relay race is on - ? But I don't think you'll be unhappy with Alpine Village, unless you would rather be in town, closer to dining, shops, strolling downtown for an ice-cream etc. If you want to be in town and want cheaper accommodation, you might want to consider private home accommodation: www.stayinjasper.com

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jasper in Early June 2013

Many thanks for this. Very helpful. I know, the bear fear is irrational but there you have it.

No, no desire to be in a town. AV sounds good. Tekkara & many others fully booked in June

3. Re: Jasper in Early June 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 06:18