We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greyhound from Vancouver

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Greyhound from Vancouver

Hi all

Am hoping to travel from Vancouver to Jasper on October 25/26, and looks like my only choice is the Greyhound bus at night, leaving at 6.15pm. Alas, the train doesnt go on those dates.

I know I will be totally wrecked all the next day, but doesnt seem to be any other choice??

Could someone confirm that for me please, and is there any other way to get to Jasper on a budget, that I havent seen?

Many thanks.

Liz

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greyhound from Vancouver

At that time of year, it's either Greyhound, VIA Rail, or car. And driving yourself is a bit dodgy at that time of year because of the chance of encountering winter driving conditions.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 19:55
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greyhound from Vancouver

Winter driving conditions are not that likely at that time of year - here in Jasper, we usually don't get snow until November. Note that the bus arrives in Jasper in the very early morning, and the bus/train station is not open then. There is a covered shelter beside the parking lot where the bus drops you off, and there are restaurants nearby although I am not sure if they are open as early as 6:30 ... it may be 7 am before anything is open.

The only other option (but not a "budget" one) would be to fly to Edmonton, and then take either Greyhound, VIA Rail or the Sundog shuttle to Jasper.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greyhound from Vancouver

Hi, i am travelling from vancouver to Jasper in 3 weeks time on the overnight grey hound coach...happy to let you know what it was like,and if you would like a recommendation on accomodation again i can let you know what the place I am staying in is like.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greyhound from Vancouver

Thank you for that Kay, much appreciated.

Presently I am going to leave it until I get to Vancouver in October. Have altered itinerary a little so may catch the train now, and have seen that if I leave it until the last week, the prices of the sleepers on the train decrease in price.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greyhound from Vancouver

Thought about the train, but quite expensive and takes 18 hrs, so have now booked the bus on the 25th October. Does arrive early at 0545hr, so will have to huddle somewhere until a cafe opens. There must often be people in the same boat, so has to be shelter somewhere???

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greyhound from Vancouver

There is an unheated shelter at the north end of the train/bus station.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greyhound from Vancouver

Thankyou very much, will seek it out, or maybe go straight to my Hotel, they may let me shelter there and leave my case.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greyhound from Vancouver

Which hotel will you be staying at? Many of them have lobbies with seating, but it's also quite likely that for the date when you are coming, they will have had many vacant rooms the night before you arrive, so you may be able to check into your room immediately. If not, many restaurants that serve breakfast open at 7 am so you could drop off your luggage, and head to a restaurant to start your day.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greyhound from Vancouver

Am booked in at The Maligne Lodge, so hope I can leave my case there and wander off, once it gets light.

I see that the Dark Sky Festival is on that weekend (astronomy related) so looking forward to that too. :- )

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greyhound from Vancouver

The Maligne Lodge is a few blocks' walk from the bus station - maybe about a ten or fifteen minute walk, so if you don't have a backpack or rolling luggage, you will probably want to get a taxi. There is a taxi stand right beside the parking lot where the bus pulls in. If there are none there, you could always go across the street to either the Whistler Inn or the Athabasca Hotel and phone for a taxi.

You should be able to see the Maligne Lodge as you enter town - it's the very first one you'll see, on the left, after the underpass. Here is the "contact info" page from their website - perhaps you might want to email them ahead of time to be sure you can leave your suitcase there? Otherwise, I am pretty sure there are lockers in the bus station, although I am not sure what time it opens.... will try to remember to go look at the sign with hours on the door when I am next near there.