We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help with Sightseeing

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Help with Sightseeing

I am traveling from Vancouver towards Alberta on July 3rd, but due to long journey I have planned to stay overnight at Valemount, but after a quick stop at Mt. Robson. My only day at Jasper is July 4th, Thursday and reach to Calgary the same day.

I am planning to go to Maligne Lake Cruise first early morning at 9 am on Thursday, then Maligne Falls and Patricia/Pyramid Lake by 1pm, and continue to Athabasca Falls and reach at Columbia Icefield by 5pm latest. After that, I will be heading towards Calgary.

Few questions:

- Is this itinerary do-able?

- Am I rushing too much?

- Any hiccup or obstacle that I am missing?

- Am I missing any important scenery or spot around that area? (other than hiking, can't hike)

Please let me know your thoughts, any input is appreciated. Thanks.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,217 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help with Sightseeing

the most spectacular scenery is on the icefield pkwy. While i absolutely love the Maligne Lk cruise I'm afraid your time would be better spent elsewhere. In Jasper Pyramid and Patricia lk is very close to downtown. Maligne Lk is a 45 minute drive each way. I'd do the two lks and Maligne Canyon walk. Then Athabasca Falls, drive the pkwy. Stop at Peyto, Bow Lake, Crowfoot Glacier. Then for sure visit Moraine Lake and Lk Louise. Your very much rushing the whole thing but if you honestly have only one day then doing what you've posted totally ignores Lk Louise and the other sites I've listed as well as all of Banff.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,297 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help with Sightseeing

Even if you could hike, I don't know when you would squeeze one in!

If I am understanding you correctly, you are starting July 4th in Valemount, which is about 1.5 hours of driving to Jasper. Jasper to Calgary is about five hours of driving, with no stops. The Maligne Lake boat cruise is 90 minutes, and it takes almost an hour to drive from town to Maligne Lake, each way. I'd allow about 45 to 60 minutes for Pyramid Island, including driving time from town and a quick walk over the bridge to Pyramid Island.

That's 11 hours, without making ANY stops on the Icefields Parkway, or Lake Louise or Moraine Lake, or allowing for any meals, bathroom breaks, re-fueling the car before you head down the parkway etc.

Pyramid Lake is nice, but the sights on the parkway are more spectacular, so I would leave it off so that you'll have some time for things on the parkway.

On the way to Calgary, driving from Banff through Canmore is going to be slow going, with slow sections and diversions to get around the parts of the road that were damaged in the flooding in the past few days. Presumably you have a guaranteed reservation in Calgary and will confirm with them that you will be arriving quite late - ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help with Sightseeing

Sorry guys, I should have been little more clearer. July 4th is my “Jasper and surrounding only” time including Icefield. I can reach Calgary late no problem, since staying with relative. But I have to drop off my one-way car rental from Vancouver by next morning. Next day (July 5th) is my plan to look around Banff, Lake Louise and all (my relative is taking me). And July 6 and 7 are Waterton and Drumheller, with my relative from Calgary (which now maybe in jeopardy cause of flood). I am returning on July 8 morning from Calgary.

Here is my plan for July 4th :

6am – Leave Valemount for Maligne Lake Cruise (2.5 hours drive)

9am – Take the 9am Cruise for 90 mins

10:30am – Drive to Maligne Canyon (1 hour drive)

11:30am/12pm – Start Maligne Canyon Walk (we may not have 2 hours for the full hike, so we will take the 1st and 2nd bridge 15 minutes walk)

12:30pm – Drive towards Jasper and Patricia/Pyramid Lake. Complete Jasper city and Patricia/Pyramid Lake in 2 hours (by 2:30pm), including bathroom, short meal and gas.

2:30pm – Drive to Athabasca Falls (30 mins drive)

3:00pm – Look around Athabasca Falls

4:00pm – Drive to Columbia Icefield (1 hour drive)

5:00pm – Take the Icefield tour

7:00pm – Drive towards Calgary (4 hours or more). I will still have 2 hours of daylight to enjoy the view on the parkway.

The next day I will have entire day to go to Banff, Lake Louise, Peyto and all. I was going to post another request on the Banff forum about that help hehe.

Please let me know if this is okay. Should I exclude Patricia/Pyramid Lakes? Thanks a bunch.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 17:50
4. Re: Itinerary Help with Sightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Jasper