We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which family cabin in Jasper?

usa
Level Contributor
2 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Which family cabin in Jasper?

Trying to decide between Patricia Lake Bungalow 2 queen bedroom duplex vs. Tekarra Lodge Columbia cabin (one king bedroom with double bed in alcove) for a family of 5. Comfortable beds and clean are a priority.

Patricia Lake farther away from town and duplex farther from lake view but overall, the resort is ranked higher on trip advisor.

Columbia cabin seems great from pics and closer to the river with newly renovated kitchen and bathroom but overall Tekarra is ranked much lower on trip advisor.

Neither seems to have air conditioning. BOth are duplex (so both probably noise issues comparable). ANy thoughts to help make a decision are appreciated.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,713 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which family cabin in Jasper?

I have never stayed at either, so can't help you. Actually, I think the odds of finding someone who has stayed in both these cabins might be pretty low.

A few more points, things to consider ...

Tekarra has onsite dining but Patricia Lake doesn't. However, it is pricey.

It is true that Tekarra is slightly closer to town than Patricia Lake Bungalows, however, you have to cross the train tracks to get into town from Tekarra, and 12,000 foot freights run through there frequently . The crossing is often blocked for 10 to 20 minutes at a time and taking the alternate route into town (heading west on highway 16 and coming in the west end of Connaught Drive into town) will probably bump the driving time to about the same as it takes from Patricia Lake. If you plan on walking or cycling into town from Tekarra Lodge though, there is a pedestrian/cyclist underpass, so the trains won't impede you.

Both have hiking available, but I would give a slight edge to Tekarra since you can walk along the river and it is close to both the Old Fort Point and Trail 7 trailheads.

Mentioned in this post
Old Fort Point
Old Fort Point
20 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,266 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which family cabin in Jasper?

Our Aussie friend, Frommy, a regular poster here stayed there 5 years ago. He's likely to be along shortly to possibly add a few words.

His review: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g154918-d185…

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,480 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which family cabin in Jasper?

I stayed in one of the stand alone bungalows at Patricia Lake, not in the duplex structure, so cannot assist in that regard. It takes hardly any time at all to drive from Patricia Lake to the township, and we had some great wildlife sightings along that road.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which family cabin in Jasper?

you might also consider

www.pinebungalows.com/accomodations/rates.php

alpinevillagejasper.com/jasper-cabin-rental-…

scotland
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which family cabin in Jasper?

I recommend rocky mountain escape cabins

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,713 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which family cabin in Jasper?

Rocky Mountains Escape Cabins is a great choice for someone who wants an "off the beaten path" type of experience, but since the OP (original poster) was trying to choose between two cabin resorts less than 5 km away from the Jasper townsite, and mentioned both kitchen facilities and air conditioning, I'm not sure this is quite what they are seeking. It is located over an hour's drive away from Jasper townsite, and it not located in the national park either, but closer to Hinton (where it is listed here on TA: tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g181726-d588399-… ).

Another consideration for visitors flying in and renting a car is that the final part of the drive to these cabins is 26.5 km down a "winding gravel road" (their own description from their website) and many rental car contracts do not allow driving off paved surfaced roads.

Here it their website, for anyone wanting further info: http://www.ecolodge.com/

scotland
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which family cabin in Jasper?

we have just come back from a week at these cabins and had a great time.the track is passable with a car ,but laura the owner would come and pick you up.the lodges are lovely.and the food is homemade and plentiful....

Edmonton
Level Contributor
264 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which family cabin in Jasper?

The Rocky Mountain Escape cabins are not closer to Hinton. In fact they are not close to Hinton at all, although you will drive close to Hinton on the way there. They are about 50 km from Hinton at least. As the crow flies, they are actually quite close to Jasper National Park (and Wilmore Wilderness Park).

They would be great for someone who is visiting Canada and is looking for a true Rocky Mountain experience. You don't need air conditioning and great meals are provided for a great price. We go there every year.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which family cabin in Jasper?

I stay at Tekarra every year and absolutely love it. I will disagree with krp329 regarding the length of the detour you have to take if the train is blocking the road (in all my years going I have had to take the detour less than 5 times). It is a few minutes longer at most.

You can get cabins that overlook the small lake or cabins that overlook the river. We choose the lake, but we have noticed that in the past couple years the noise from the highway is quite loud and intrusive - not sure why this was not the case before. We will probably move over to the river side next year, which does not have that problem.

The restaurant at Tekarra is excellent. My husband and I enjoy fine dining and we never miss an opportunity to eat here.

I cannot say anything about the PLB.

10. Re: Which family cabin in Jasper?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Jasper