We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walkable trails from the town

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Walkable trails from the town

Hi,

I am going to Jasper the coming weekend (May 17-18) for a short stay. I don't have a car but would like to hike a bit. Can I walk to any trail from the Jasper town?

Any suggested places out of the town that I may walk to? Any interesting places or events in town for the long weekend?

Thanks a lot,

Jack

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walkable trails from the town

I'd suggest stopping in at the Visitor Information Centre and getting a free map brochure, either the one from Parks Canada or the "Where Canadian Rockies" one (which is much more detailed and shows a lot of trails), or else buying the inexpensive GemTrek "Jasper Up Close" from the Friends of JNP shop in the InfoCentre for about $5 or $6.

There are online maps linked at the bottom of this page: pc.gc.ca/eng/…f-2013.aspx

The 8 km Discovery Trail goes around the entire town, including along Connaught Drive through downtown Jasper along the railway tracks. It is marked with a small sign (approx. 15 cm wide by 10 cm high) with a grizzly bear face. Up against the hill at the back of town (Pyramid Bench), there are three or four places to access the huge network of trails up on "the Bench". You can do everything from a couple of kilometres' stroll to a small lake to an all day outing.

Or, at the traffic lights downtown (there is only one set in the entire town, at the intersection of Hazel and Connaught Drive), follow the trail across the tracks and out towards and across the highway, and then down to the Old Fort Point area. I would recommend the Old Fort Point loop, or walking along trail 7 along the river towards the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. Have coffee or a beverage on their terrace, or in the lobby lounge.... the views are great! There are lakes farther on, and if you are concerned about getting too far out, you could always consider calling a taxi to get back to town ... there is a payphone near the picnic shelter at Lake Annette. If you want to go a longer distance, you could walk all the way to Maligne Canyon; there is a restaurant and phones there.

Double check the online trail report, for closures and bear warnings:

www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tcond/cond_e.asp…

For information on events going on around town, pick up a free copy of the weekly paper, The Fitzhugh, which comes out on Thursday. It's on racks all over town, including the grocery stores. The is live music at the Legion on Saturday night, I believe, and also possibly at the Olive Bistro.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walkable trails from the town

Thanks a lot for the detailed information, krp329. Another constraint that I didn't mention was that I will be arriving in Jasper at 4ish in the afternoon and leaving the town at 2pm the next day, both by train. So my time is really limited.

I am thinking of taking the skytram either after I arrive -- maybe at 5pm. I think the tram will run until 6:30pm on the day of my arrival. Do you think I have enough time?

If the skytram plan is doable, then the next day I will go for a hike. Do you think I can get back to Jasper town by 1pm if I leave hotel early in the morning (like 7:30am) to Maligne Canyon? Or other trails you would suggest for the limited time?

Really want to maximize my experience in Jasper!

Thanks!

Jack

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walkable trails from the town

Assuming the train arrives on time, yes, you could have enough time for the Sky Tram but you would have to take a taxi because the last shuttle leaves town at 3:45 pm. ( www.jasperskytram.com/visit/getting-here ) It would be a bit rushed, but there is a lot of snow at the top anyway, so no hiking to be done up there yet, but you can enjoy the views from the decks.

IMO, hiking to the canyon would not be recommended. The most effective way in the VERY limited time you have would be a taxi, but that would likely be a bit pricey (it's 11 km by road from town - actually, the skytram is a similar distance). It could be hiked one-way and a taxi back, if you knew the route, but since it involves connecting a few different trails, I wouldn't recommend it but rather sticking a bit closer to town (so as to make sure you are back in time to catch your train). Maybe just walk from town to Old Fort Point, up the stairs and to the top of OFP to enjoy the view, and then back to town again... that'd be about four or five kilometres, round trip.

How about renting a car to get yourself around?

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walkable trails from the town

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. They make my travel plans more clear.

Actually I tried to book a car online but it seemed no cars were available. Not sure whether they force me to book on site... I am thinking if i spend time to rent a car after my arrival, i may miss the skytram trip..What do you think? May thanks!

Jack

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,578 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walkable trails from the town

You might try calling the car rental agency.

However, with the long weekend only a few days away, I would not be surprised if there are no more cars available. The rental locations in Jasper are not large (quite small), and especially this early in the season, they probably have to do a fair bit of planning to figure out which cars to have placed in Jasper. I suspect most people who rent in Jasper book well ahead, so they aren't likely to keep a lot of unbooked cars there.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walkable trails from the town

Thanks for the reply. It seemed I managed to get car rental on the day of my arrival. I thinking of driving to the skytram upon my arrival at 4ish in the afternoon. Any suggestions where to go with a car the next morning? -- I have the entire morning until 12:30pm...Need to catch the 2pm train.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walkable trails from the town

If you get an early start, you could drive down to the Columbia Icefields and back. It's 103 km from town. Athabasca Falls would be one stop I would recommend, and you would want some time at the Icefields visitor centre to look across at the glacier.

Or you could head up the Maligne valley, stopping at Athabasca Overlook, Maligne Canyon and the Medicine Lake viewpoint.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walkable trails from the town

Thanks krp329! I think I will take one of the routes you mentioned. The trouble is it will rain for the coming weekend!!! It sucks......

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walkable trails from the town

Not that I give much credence to the forecast three days in advance, but the Environment Canada forecast for Saturday says "Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers." and for Sunday, "Cloudy". That kind of forecast doesn't usually mean all-day rain. Besides, you're from Vancouver, so you must be used to rain! ;-) Bring a rain coat, and get out and enjoy "moody" mountain views. Maligne Canyon is better seen and photographed on overcast days anyway.

10. Re: Walkable trails from the town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Jasper