We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baff or Jasper in June

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MAdrid
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Baff or Jasper in June

I am travelling to Vancouver at the end of June with my family. I have four days to go to a NAtional park. I wonder what is the nicer park to go, Banff or Jasper. We are a family with two kids ( 15 and 11). Thanks a lot

NJ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baff or Jasper in June

How do you plan to go? it is an all day drive to Banff from vancouver. (9 hours +), jasper farther. Have you considered Olympic National Park or North Cascades in the US? much closer. Also you can easily spend 4 days on vancouver island. 4 days won't give you much time except to drive there and turn around. Even the trains will take time see:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-c13545/Vancou…

MAdrid
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baff or Jasper in June

I plan to go by car, going in two days and coming back on one. I have already been in Olympic and I thought that either Jasper or Banff are more impressive than North Cascades

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baff or Jasper in June

20 hours of driving is a lot, but if you're up for it, it's not impossible. If it were me, I might look for a closer destination to explore, perhaps Pacific Rim National Park on Vancouver Island?

Your other options are Mt Revelstoke National Park, Glacier National Park, and Yoho National Park, which are all on Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada Hwy) between Revelstoke, BC and Field, BC - closer than Banff.

Because of the driving time involved, I would strongly recommend Banff over Jasper. The road to Banff from Vancouver is nicer (if your time is limited) and there is more to see along the way. Here's an itinerary:

Day 1, drive from Vancouver to Salmon Arm (5 hours driving, not including stops for food, fuel, bathrooms, sightseeing). Salmon Arm is a nice, family-friendly small city on the shores of Shuswap Lake.

On Day 2, take your time driving to the town of Banff and seeing the sights in the other national parks along the way (5 hours). I'd strongly recommend a side trip (30 mins one way) to Takakkaw Falls in Yoho National Park, if the road is open (which it ought to be).

Day 3, explore the Banff area: Mt Norquay, Vermilion Lakes, Tunnel Mountain, Lake Minnewanka, etc. etc.

Day 4, straight drive back to Vancouver. (10 hours driving)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,072 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baff or Jasper in June

I would fly to Calgary, or visit Pacific Rim, which is magnificent and a reasonable distance (~ 5 hrs each way) from Vancouver

pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/pacificrim/index.aspx

http://www.tourismtofino.com/

www.youtube.com/watch…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,151 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baff or Jasper in June

Jasper is actually closer to Vancouver than Banff. Vancouver to Jasper is 794 km, Vancouver to Banff is 845.

I, too, would suggest that with only four days, either Banff or Jasper are too far, especially if you have to go back to Vancouver. If you are departing via Calgary, it's a bit more do-able, but a very rushed trip, and in that case, I would definitely recommend Banff, for less driving overall.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baff or Jasper in June

+1 to KRP

Also, you mention the end of June. July 1 is a national holiday here, and the whole weekend starting from about June 27 is likely to be VERY busy. If you intend to stay in the parks or at any campsite/hotel along the way, you need to book ASAP and availability may well be limited.

MAdrid
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baff or Jasper in June

thanks a lot to everybody about your comments!! Very helpful

Ogden, Utah
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Baff or Jasper in June

Post for Country_Wife and Entire group,

I will be driving up from Montana Glacier National Park first of next month and planning my roadtrip through Waterton, Yoho, Banff, and Jasper National Parks and then drive through the rest of British Columbia to Seattle. The insights and postings above are very helpful! Could you provide me with some more recommendations that would be tailored to my intended route? Would like to see Calgary Have accomodations in the Banff Area for 3 nights and total time in Alberta and BC is 5 days. The suggestions provided in this thread are very helpful. If driving from Banff (Trans-Canada Highway) or Jasper (Yellow Head Highway/BC-5S) are there gas stations that only accept cash not Visa credit cards? Same for restaurants, gift shops, etc along the way that do not accept Visa Credit Card. Looking for feedback on if anyone would determine it is necessary to exchange a few hundred US Dollars into Canadian Money? Thank you in advance for your suggestions and help. Excited to see this beautiufl part of the world.

Aaron

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baff or Jasper in June

Aaron, your plan is quite different from the original question. It would get more attention if you used the gold "Ask a question" button to start a new discussion thread in the Canadian Rockies forum:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Cana…

MAdrid
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baff or Jasper in June

I am back in Madrid now and I would like comment my experience. I did the visit in 4 days

First day: Leaving Vancouver, I arrive Revelstoke around 3 pm. Time for visiting the Meadows-In-the-Sky site and walk close to the river. Night in Revelstoke

Second Day. Drive to Yoho, visiting Wapta Falls and Emerald Lake. Night in Golden

Third Day: Visiting Icefield Parkway up to Columbia Icefield, Lake Louise and Lake Moraime. Night in Golden .

Fourth day. Drive back to Vancouver, driving slowly arrived there around 5 pm.

So I had time for visiting this incredible area of the world. Unmissable Icefield Parkway and Lake Louise, but I suppose each traveler will have different opinion.

And answering a previous question, during 10 days in Canada I almost used 150 canadian dollars in cash.

Thanks to all comments and congratulations by this wonderful country!!

Notes: Wake up early helps a lot