We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medicine Hat in Winter

Which Medicine Hat hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Medicine Hat in Winter

My family are thinking of visiting relatives in Medicine Hat/Redcliff at Christmas, staying for about 2 weeks. Can you please provide plenty of ideas of things to keep my 3 sons, aged 13, 11, and 7 occupied?

Thank you!

10 replies to this topic
Alberta
Level Contributor
325 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medicine Hat in Winter

You can try skiing at Hidden Valley in Elkwater (only 30 min away). They have a nice leisure centre for swimming.

Medicine Hat, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medicine Hat in Winter

try Ice Skating also if they enjoy that....at Hidden valley ( I think closer to 45 minutes away) they also have snowboarding..its a small hill so good for beginners and intermediate..watch a hockey game (msg me I may have extra tickets) xcountry ski they have cheap rentals at police point park which you can take out of the park or rent snow shoes of course all dependent on if we have much snow then its sometimes hit and miss but likely decent amount of snow by then to do it,,,,if you have time drive to the mountains which are a few hours away you can shovel my sidewalk since I may be out of town :)

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medicine Hat in Winter

There is an indoor Leisure Centre with a wave pool, fantastic. Also an indoor waterside at three hotels. Lodge allows non guest to pay to use. The museum is a great place, its in the Esplanade, they host live theatre and often have children's features. Monarch theatre and Galaxy theatre feature children's shows. Go to Police Point Park, great staff and interpretative centre. Drive around the city to view the thousands of xmas lights. enjoy you will love our city

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medicine Hat in Winter

Have a look at Esplanade...

http://www.esplanade.ca/

Edited: 16 November 2011, 15:35
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medicine Hat in Winter

Sledding in Kin Coulee park is lots of fun. I would definitely second the thought on the rec centre with the waterslide and wavepool, it's my 10 year old daughter's favorite at that time of year. The christmas lights in Medicine Hat are lots of fun to see. Cypress Hills Park -Hidden Valley for skiing and snowboarding.

If the weather's nice, it's about a 2.5 hour drive to Calgary where there's tons of stuff to do including the mountains, parks, museums, the zoo, science centre, etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medicine Hat in Winter

Thanks everyone for your help! Our trip is approaching very fast and we are all getting quite excited about it. We may do a quick trip to Edmonton too for a couple of days to break up our trip.

Thanks again!

Edited: 20 November 2011, 08:38
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medicine Hat in Winter

Not certain about a quick trip as it is about 600km and in winter conditions could be a long day of travel. Calgary may be a better bet, only 300km. Talk to your relatives about winter travel and pick your days.

Depending on your time frame I am sure your boys would enjoy watching a hockey game, here is the local teams schedule.

tigershockey.com/schedule/…29

Enjoy your visit :0)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medicine Hat in Winter

Thanks for that, looks like fun! We might be able to see the Tigers v Victoria. How is their season going so far?

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medicine Hat in Winter

Tigers are in the top half of the league, Victoria is close to the middle.

Medicine Hat, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Medicine Hat in Winter

if you msg me i may be able to give you our tigets tickets depending on what day the game is..i havent looked that far ahead

Reply to: Medicine Hat in Winter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Medicine Hat