We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Seattle to Victoria, Vancouver Island with rented car

Singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
From Seattle to Victoria, Vancouver Island with rented car

Hi, could anyone help us on the best way to get to Victoria from Seattle with our rental car? It seems that the ferry from seattle to vancouver island is meant only fro passengers.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: From Seattle to Victoria, Vancouver Island with rented car

Hi, there are 3 ferries you can take. Any option is going to take about 5 hours of travel time (including the time on the ferry).

The most convenient in terms of frequency of schedule would be the BC Ferry from Tsawwassen just south of Vancouver to Swartz Bay, just outside of Victoria. In the summer months, it runs hourly and takes about 90 minutes. It'll take you 2.5-3 hours to drive to Tsawwassen from Seattle (depending on the line at the border), and about 30 minutes to drive from Swartz Bay into downtown Victoria.

The 2nd option would be to take a ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge (about 35 minutes), then drive two hours out to Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula and take the Coho ferry from there to Victoria (about 90 minutes). The ferry goes about 4 times a day in summer. This has the advantage of allowing you to see something of Olympic National Park if you like.

The 3rd option is to drive 2 hours north from Seattle to Anacortes and take WA State ferries from there to Sidney (just north of Victoria). However this ferry takes 3 hours and only goes twice a day in summer.

Actually, I'm assuming you're traveling in the summer months--if not, let us know when because it affects which route you can take.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Seattle to Victoria, Vancouver Island with rented car

Hi Northwestwanderer,

The information is most helpful and I really need to sit down and calculate the duration required of the 3 options and evaluate which is most viable.

Will be leaving seattle around 25 May or 26 May. So what would be my best options?

Thanks so much.

Singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Seattle to Victoria, Vancouver Island with rented car

Hi,

Could anyone provide further assistance as to which choice would be best. Will be leaving seattle on 26 May to Vancouver Island.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Seattle to Victoria, Vancouver Island with rented car

Lintay

I would take option 1.

The only issue is crossing the border as it can be busy on the weekend,but coming from Seattle on a Sturday should not be too bad.I would do it early in the morning though

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Seattle to Victoria, Vancouver Island with rented car

Hi Islandrockin,

Thanks for your advice. Checked the BC Ferries website and the schedule showed that I will have more chances of catching a ferry with the numerous trips on that day.

Much appreciated.

6. Re: From Seattle to Victoria, Vancouver Island with rented car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 05:25