We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV rental

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
RV rental

A question really on the praticalities of touring with an RV and

a family of four including two kids soon to turn 2 & 4 as we've never hired an RV before. Would you consider our kids to be too young for this, e.g. would we be better off hiring a car and stopping off at hotels?

UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV rental

We hired an RV for the first time last August, and toured BC and parts of Alberta with our 3 kids, who were 10, 7 and 5.

I think there are lots of benefits of travelling in an RV - having bathroom facilities handy and being able to make meals/snacks when you want them is great when you have small kids.

However our kids didn't really enjoy being strapped in the RV while we were travelling for long periods, but we did do a lot of touring! You will need child support seats and one of you will probably need to sit with them in the RV (rather than in the cab at the front). I think it will be more comfortable for the kids to travel in a car.

Hope this helps.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV rental

Something to consider, in case you are under the impression that RVing is cheaper than renting a car and staying in hotels, it is not. Buy the time you've paid the higher rent for an RV, spent much more on gasoline (petrol), etc., it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

When we're in the mountains, we notice that there are MANY motorhomes towing cars behind them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the reason for that. The reason is that, once you've set yourself up in a campground, it's a chore to unhook, stow away your dishes, and use your RV for sight seeing. You have more flexibility if you have a car that you can use for running around.

However, it would not be economically feasible to rent an RV and also rent a car on top of that. So the motorhome-car combinations that one sees undoubtedly belong to people who own those motorhomes and toads (as towed cars are nick named).

When I was a kid, my family used to have a month-long vacation in our trailer (caravan) at the sea or at a lake every year. We used to spend a couple of days getting to our vacation destination and another couple of days getting back home. Except for those few nights on the way to and from our destination, our trailer was parked in one spot the whole month. My dad had made a lot of gadgets that made it like a home away from home. Also, we had extra "rooms" in the sense that we had tents that snapped onto each side of the trailer, and that expanded our living space. Because we used a trailer rather than a motorhome, we had the use of our car for touring around the area. Having had that childhood experience of largely stationery trailer vacations, I am not attracted to being constantly on the move with an RV.

That said, when I have young children with me (and even when I don't have young children with me), I like staying in self-catering accommodation.

There are a number of self-catering properties in Canada, both in cities, small towns and wilderness areas. In the cities they usually take the form of apartment hotels or suite hotels. If you are interested in self-catering accommodation, I suggest you use those search terms if you're doing a Google search. In small towns and wilderness areas they take the form of chalets, bungalows or cabins.

If your travels through the Rockies will take you to Jasper, that town also has private home accommodation (PHA). That is like a B&B, but without breakfast. If you selected a PHA carefully, you could find one that had its own private entrance, a private bathroom, a kitchen, and so on.

If you have not already stumbled on it, I suggest you read Inside Banff National Park : Planning a Summer Trip:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c52421/Banff-…

That page explains best times to travel, it discusses different means of transportation between Vancouver and the Rockies, it gives you links to information on accommodation in different areas, it tells you what clothing to pack so that you're prepared for quirky mountain weather, and discusses many other logistical issues.

Summer accommodation in the Canadian Rockies is fast filling up. It would be a good thing if you settled on your itinerary soon, and started making reservations ASAP.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV rental

Thanks for both your replies and links they have been very helpful.

My only RV experience was with my Canadian relatives going from Calgary to Banff and Lake Louise in 1980!

It would be early June we'd be travelling so I was hoping things would would not be as busy as high summer accomodation wise.

Beautiful Vancouver...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RV rental

There are lots of places to rent RV's on Vancouver Island. Often they will set it up for you and move it around to different campsites. The nice thing about Vancouver island with little ones is that the ocean on the east side is incredibly safe, more like a big lake with miles of shallow, sloping beaches to play in . We used to rent double kayaks and explore - the kids loved it and now they are old enough to go in their own kayak finally!

We go camping quite a bit and started when our kids were small. The best places have pools, rivers and ocean all rolled into one campsite - and there are tons of them on the island. Most rv campgrounds have well stocked ponds/lakes for the little hunters/fishermen in the family...

I found RVing fantastic. The kids have their own beds, their own stuff, and it feels like you are staying home even when you travel. Makes for better sleep and easier adjustments.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,751 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV rental

We are an RV family. We bought a 24 ft Motorhome years ago when our kids were 1, 4, and 6. We LOVED it and so did kids. We motorhome with the kids every year. They are now 10, 14, and 16.

We do not tow a car, we tow a boat now. We find we don't really need a car that much, we pick great campgrounds, we take our bikes, and unhooking our Rv takes only ten minutes, one does not have to " restow" dishes, the cupboards are travel ready., just remove anything on the actual counter top, like our fruit bowl, it goes in the sink so it doesn't roll about as we drive.

We USED to do car and hotel, but MUCH prefer RVing with the kids. It is not about the money( other poster is correct , it isn't alot cheaper,,although restaurant meals for three kids, two of whom our teen boys ,, is very expensive! LOL

Snacks always handy and nutrious, beds the same each night, same special blankies etc, no worry about leaving childs teddy bear at hotel , and discovering that 5oo miles later!

We consider rvs ideal for travel with kids, our little one prefered it also. We can pull over for a bathroom break or snack anywhere, they can sit at the table and play board games, or do puzzles or play dough ,, color, draw,, way more fun then a car and way more room.

There is a RV board ( mainly for States and Canada) called " Open Roads" get on that board and you will find the forums incredibly helpful, people can suggest routes, campgrounds, iternerarys, etc.

6. Re: RV rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 23:18