We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maps/Road Atlas

England
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Maps/Road Atlas

I am planning a 3 week holiday in august 08 taking in the sights between Vancouver and Calgary including Banff and Jasper NP's. Can anyone recommend a map or road atlas that I can use to plan routes, distances and accomodation etc. I undertand that at that time of year its best to pre-book accomodation.

Many Thanks.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,456 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maps/Road Atlas

Start by searching postings this forum by Judy in Calgary as she has many excellent routings, info etc.

www.aaa.com ( auto association) will let you do trip planning online

excellent site you can add stops etc

www.drivebc.com for bc drive distances and times

go to www.hellobc.com for links to communities

I would start here before buying map...otherwise look at Michelin or Rand McNalley

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maps/Road Atlas

don't foget about the "map" option on any google tool bar(?). Extremely easy to use = just put in "to" "from" and gives you turn by turn directions + estimated driving times. You build maps you want to see and then print + "satellite" and "hybrid" imagery really lights up the topography of any area you are interested in. . short learning curve to familiarize yourself.

Take a birdseye look at your own roof top, just for fun. . .??

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maps/Road Atlas

First, go to www.hellobc.com - they have lots of information including planning guides and an accomodation list that will do the trick in BC. There is a similar set of guides available from Tourism Alberta - I'm sorry, I've forgotten the web site - but try www.tourismalberta.com - it might work. The Alberta accomodation list is not quite as easy to use as the one from BC, but it will serve your needs. Additionally, I'd get a guidebook or two - try amazon.uk - they'll also have road maps, I think, if the provinces don't include them.

The provinces send things out very quickly, so wait a few days for their arrival before you start making any arrangements except flight reservations. I have heard that there will be an "adjustment" of fares on November 27 - it's a likely date, most all the Thanksgiving travel in the US will be completed. I can't guess which routes/air lines will go up - there should be some reductions in the UK - high season there is finally over!

By the way - I've seen a number of questions about Jazz and assumptions that it must not be a "real" airline - Jazz is partially owned by Air Canada and serves smaller markets where its smaller aircraft are appropriate and routes in larger areas where several flights a day with each carrying smaller numbers of passengers are needed. I'm afraid I don't know the full extent of their routes, but I know they serve more markets in Canada than any other airline. I think that makes it real.

Jazz is what my husband flies to Vancouver to connect to all his International flights and he has no complaints about the crews or equipment. The only problem is trying to deal with Air Canada's web site.

Remember, planning really is half the fun.

4. Re: Maps/Road Atlas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 07:16