We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US dollar to Canadian -best way

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston MA
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
US dollar to Canadian -best way

What does everyone do when they travel for 2wks to Canada about money? Is everyone just paying the FEES that the credit card companies charge or does anyone else have a suggestion. If I bring all cash to exchange, is a bank the best place? Has anyone used travelers checks recently, is that the best way?

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US dollar to Canadian -best way

Kim

You'll want to read through Canada's 'Before You Go>Banks & Money' for money-saving answers to your exchange questions: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s601/Canada:B…

Iowa City
Level Contributor
886 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US dollar to Canadian -best way

The best way I know is,use a no transaction fee credit card like the CapitalOne-you will get whole sale exchange rate,and have topay no fees. However,I would take a couple of hundred dollars and exchange it at the airport(not the best rate),or at a downtown bank.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,079 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US dollar to Canadian -best way

You pay FEES to exchange money, no matter how you do it. The bank will charge a fee, a foreign exchange kiosk will charge an even bigger fee, and the credit card company will charge a fee. You will pay a fee to purchase travellers cheques and you may also pay a fee to cash them again. You will pay a fee to withdraw money from a bank machine.

We've always done a balance of using our credit cards and taking local currency travelers cheques. If you take local currency, you can cash them anywhere (although US travellers cheques are pretty universally accepted in Canada, but you probably won't get as good an exchange rate). We've found that the credit card company is pretty fair and give a good exchange rate that compensates for the fee. Other buisnesses will take their cut by giving an outrageous exchange rate.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US dollar to Canadian -best way

If you plan to use your credit or debit card(s) at all, make sure you inform your bank that you are going out of the country. If they see transactions from a foreign country they may freeze your card(s), unless you have notified them ahead of time.

Iowa City
Level Contributor
886 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US dollar to Canadian -best way

Trst me-CapitalOne does not charge any fees,I use it all the time.

Iowa City
Level Contributor
886 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US dollar to Canadian -best way

"trust"

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US dollar to Canadian -best way

You also will NOT be charged any fees if you have a Bank of America account (ATM card) and use it to withdrawal money from any Scotiabank machines.

8. Re: US dollar to Canadian -best way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 00:17