We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary to Vancouver Island

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary to Vancouver Island

My wife and I have the idea that we can drive from Calgary to Vacouver Island (Wickaninnish Inn) in 2 weeks and still have time to enjoy the scenary/sights etc.

Is this a plausable trip to plan or do we have our scale of things waaaay off?

This is going to be mid March 2009

Many thanks

Paul

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary to Vancouver Island

Two weeks gives you plenty of time to enjoy yourself on that route. If you were in a hurry you could do it in one week, though you wouldn't have much relaxation time.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary to Vancouver Island

Definitely you can do this. THere have been a number of posts with a similar plan. Check www.hellobc.com for info on different locations and www.drivebc.com has a distance calculator.

Sketch a plan for your route and get back to us and we can offer more help from there.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,227 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary to Vancouver Island

Definitely doable as others have said..just be aware that March is still winter from Calgary to just outside Vancouver so be prepared with winter clothes, make sure rental car has chains as well as snow tires, carry a small collapsable shovel, some sights in Banff area will be closed...there will be some excellent skiing however. Once you reach the coast it may be full on blooming of cherry trees or it may be full on rain..one never knows.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary to Vancouver Island

Your flat-out driving time along the fastest route is only about 18 - 20 hrs or so, so that leaves another...(gets calculator out...) 12.5 days for sighseeing?? You'll be fine.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,420 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary to Vancouver Island

Rental cars do not come with snow tires, except for in Quebec where it is the law that all cars have them in winter. They are equipped with all-season radials, which are fine on bare pavement but do not give the same traction in snowy conditions. (You may well encounter only bare parement). It is impossible to predict the weather for next March, but there is a likelihood of encountering bad driving conditions through the mountains if there are snowstorms. Occasionally, highways are even closed for a day or two due to avalanche control or highway clearing after a lot of snow has fallen. I would suggest having a flexible itinerary, and checking weather and road conditions each day before leaving.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary to Vancouver Island

For value and time you may want to consider flying from Calgary to Comox on Vancouver Island using Westjet.Driving from Comox to the Wic

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calgary to Vancouver Island

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions.

I think we might have to rethink our month of travel..hmmmmm.

Now comes the fun bit though of planning the trip :o)

Calgary AB
Level Contributor
11 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calgary to Vancouver Island

March and April can both be iffy weather in the Calgary/mountain areas, but once past Revelstoke in BC your weather should be better if you were to travel in April.

Don't know if you have kids or not, but March break (with varying weeks across the region) can make some tourist attractions quite busy (i.e. Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park). So, if you can choose, I would go for April, but just realize you may run into Old Man Winter for a few days near Calgary.

9. Re: Calgary to Vancouver Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 11:18