We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry: Swartz bay-Tsawwassen Vs. Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay

portland
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ferry: Swartz bay-Tsawwassen Vs. Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay

Hi!, and thanks in advance for our time

We wonder which of this routes is best. We are not worry about time or traffic, but about beauty, travel experience, etc.

We have our own cars and we are traveling with children ages 4 to 8.

Also know our whole itinerary:

Seattle - Victoria (via port angeles)

2 days in Victoria then Whistler for seven days, then one night in Vancouver, then back to Seattle by car.

Ah!, Any chances of seeing orcas in either route?

Thanks!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry: Swartz bay-Tsawwassen Vs. Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay

If you are going to Whistler after Victoria then the Departure Bay/Horseshoe Bay is your best bet time wise. The Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen is a much more scenic route, then you need to take the "scenic" drive through Vancouver to get to Whistler. Seeing Orcas? 50/50 chance

portland
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry: Swartz bay-Tsawwassen Vs. Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay

Thanks!.

How about the drive from Victoria to Horseshoe Bay, anything interesting there? I suppose not.

Thanks!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,345 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry: Swartz bay-Tsawwassen Vs. Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay

You must mean the drive from Victoria to Nanaimo..which is where you catch the ferry from Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay.

Yes this is a scenic drive.. taking the Malahat hwy gives nice vistas and there are some neat small communities where you can stop. BUT the ferry ride is most dull.. open water. The scenic ferry ride is from Swartz Bay out side Victoria through the Gulf Islands over to Tswassen. You would then drive up to Whistler through Vancouver..time wise it will all be about the same.. either drive on the Island or dirve on the mainland.. ferry crossing time is almost identical.

portland
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry: Swartz bay-Tsawwassen Vs. Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay

Yes, I meant that. It is settled then, will go on the southern route. I will do it middle of the morning, assuming, traffic won't be as bad in Vancouver.

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry: Swartz bay-Tsawwassen Vs. Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay

Yes, the southern ferry route is by far the more scenic option. Getting across town is not great, but well signposted. Try to time it so you avoid the lunch rush and get to the north shore before 3 pm and you should be fine.

portland
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry: Swartz bay-Tsawwassen Vs. Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay

Yes. I was thinking leaving at 10, so I can get to Vancouver just for lunch, so have lunch there until pass 1, then drive to Whistler, BUT, it is not available that day, either 9 or 11. Will take 11, 9 is too hard with the kids.

THANKS TO ALL!

7. Re: ferry: Swartz bay-Tsawwassen Vs. Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 12:34