We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kelowna vs Salmon Arm vs Revelstoke

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Kelowna vs Salmon Arm vs Revelstoke

Hi all!

We'll be driving out of Vancouver on April 27th and we'll be heading up to Banff/Jasper/Lake Louise for a week. On the way there, however, we want to stop at either Kelowna, Salmon Arm or Revelstoke, but can't really choose one over the other.

Can you please advise what would be the best choice for a one night stop-over?

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
587 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kelowna vs Salmon Arm vs Revelstoke

The most direct route is head to Revelstoke and spend the night.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kelowna vs Salmon Arm vs Revelstoke

Thank you. But is that route the most scenic? I don't mind driving an extra 100-200 kms, if the scenery is worth it.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,553 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kelowna vs Salmon Arm vs Revelstoke

If you want more scenic, look at Vancouver/Hope/Princeton/Peticton/Kelowna/Revelstoke/LL/Banff.

But all you will see is the road in front of you as it is a looooooong journey.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kelowna vs Salmon Arm vs Revelstoke

Thank you! Too much road is not too much fun either :) Maybe it'd be better to go Vancouver/Merritt/(Kelowna or Kamloops?)/Salmon Arm/Revelstoke/LL/Banff ? That seems the most straight-forward to me (based on looking at the map at least). Not sure whether to choose Kelowna or Kamloops either...

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kelowna vs Salmon Arm vs Revelstoke

If you want more scenic and interesting, with more opportunity for stopping then go the route Frommy has mentioned. (Hwy 3 from Hope to Princeton then to Penticton, Kelowna Revelstoke and on). It's only about 1/2 hr longer driving time to Kelowna than the Coquihalla (Hwy 5)to Merritt then the connector to Kelowna but MUCH nicer IMHO!

Kelowna is a big city, but a good stop-over for the night - lots of great restaurants too. Depending on how much time you spend getting there, you may want to press on farther for Revelstoke. Good stops on the Hwy 3 route are Manning Park, Hedley, Keremeos for fresh fruit, Penticton, Peachland. Check out a winery.

See www.hellobc.com for location info. www.drivebc.com for distance calculator.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kelowna vs Salmon Arm vs Revelstoke

Thank you for the advice! Winery sounds good! :) The only concern that I have is whether I should book some accommodation now or if we can just drive in to Kelowna or Revelstoke in the evening and find a place to stay (for reasonable money). On the other hand, finding available accommodation would add to the adventure for sure!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,553 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kelowna vs Salmon Arm vs Revelstoke

We had more time on our trip last June than you have, so we could do the Okanagan/Kelowna route. The jewel of western Canada is the Rockies, so consider planning to maximise your time there. I would even go so far as to recommend that you might consider flying to Calgary from Vancouver, then touring the Rockies. That would give you an extra day. The trip from Banff/LL to Jasper is a fantastic drive, with lots to see and do along the way, and the rest of western Canada, while fantastic, is well overshadowed by the majesty of the Rockies.

Just my .02c worth.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kelowna vs Salmon Arm vs Revelstoke

Well, we set aside a week (almost) in the Rockies. After that it's Ottawa, Kingston, Niagara and Toronto (all together another week). And then Hong Kong for 4 more days :) So, I can push things a day here and there, provided we get to all points and finally get to our flight from Toronto.

We plan to spend 2/3 nights in LL and 2/3 nights in Banff and just drive around the area as day trips. Would it be worth spending more time in Kelowna (for example 2 nights) and cut LL/Banff by one day?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,553 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kelowna vs Salmon Arm vs Revelstoke

"We plan to spend 2/3 nights in LL and 2/3 nights in Banff"

Why? They are only about 45 mins apart. You would be far better looking at spreading your time between Banff/LL and Jasper IMO.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,553 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kelowna vs Salmon Arm vs Revelstoke

Back to your accom question, at the time you are travelling I could not see that you would have a problem if you did not book accom in advance, although, conservative as I am, I would.