We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Canada

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Canada

Help an Aussie, please.

Planning to RV from Vancouver through Whistler, Quesnel, Prince George, Hinton, Lake Louise, Banff, Calgary, maybe Waterton Lakes, Kelowna, Kamloops, Harrison Hot Springs - Vancouver.

A round trip - how does this look? Any ideas, as we are only looking at a map here in Australia.

4 weeks maximum allowed.

1. Re: First time in Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2016, 23:00
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,676 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Canada

One major omission is Vancouver Island? Is that intentional? There is a lot to see and do - you'll fill 4 weeks no problem either way, but VI is a highlight.

I agree with above poster that the PG route is not much used by tourists, but if you DO go that way, be SURE to spend a couple of nights near Barkerville, which is just east of Quesnel. That's a must-see if you are in the area.

Also, be sure to post in the Canadian Rockies forum. Some really GREAT DEs over there that will give you some good info. (although they are very good about popping in to this forum from time to time)

I like the idea of going N to Jasper via Wells Grey and Clearwater (v. popular route), then down to Banff. From there, you can either go south through Invermere and Cranbrook, or east to Calgary and then south to Lethbridge. The prairies provide some nice contrast to all those mountains you'll be driving through. If you DO go out to Calgary, be SURE to head on to Drumheller and the Royal Tyrell Museum. Well worth it, and only about 3 hrs from Banff to Drumheller.

Also like the idea of coming back via highway 3 through Cranbrook, Nelson, Osoyous, Princeton, Manning Park, Hope. There's some room from Nelson to head north and either enter the Okanagan at Vernon and come south again, or go right up to Revelstoke and come back down from Salmon Arm. Your choice.

Check out your options on www.hellobc.com

One question I have that would help us advise you: do you like to set up at one place and stay there for several days, or are you inclined to move on every couple of days?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Canada

I'd skip the part with Kelowna to Salmon Arm. Too much doubling for naught.

Also, this plan skips Waterton, so you could include that, then head west toward Fernie and carry on to Nelson and Osoyoos from there.

Look up the forums for the Rockies, Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise and do a search for Camping Girl, Country Wife and krp329 for info. Also do a search for Vancouver to Calgary or Vancouver to the Rockies as there have been a lot of posts along this line.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Canada

Oh, and as for going into the US, Rescue Team has info about border crossing for foreigners. As well, some rental companies won't allow it, so check that out if you're so inclined.

And yes, you could spend a few days on Vancouver Island as well, which I'd suggest over a night in Whistler seeing as you are going to the Rockies.

Hot spots would be Tofino and Victoria.

www.drivebc.com has a distance calculator.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Canada

Fantastic information - you have certainly painted a much clearer and precise picture for us.

Sincere thanks.

Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Canada

Hi Geoff25,

As for the part Vancouver-Vancouver Island and Whistler:

As you have quite some time I would suggest going from Vancouver to Victoria, spend a day there (not really outdoors, more sightseeing of town) and drive up north to head to Tofino, at least 1 night, but preferable 2 or 3 nights over there, great hikes along the beaches, maybe do a whalewatching trip, back to Nainamo to cross over to Horseshoe Bay which is north of Vancouver and on the way up to Whistler.

Alternative might be cross over to Nainamo, skip Victoria, do Tofino first and head up the norther part of VI, like Stratchona and Telecrapg Cove for Whale watching or maybe Quadra Island, lots of hiking and kayakking and whale watching too. You could also return to the mainland by ferry from Comox to Powell River on the Sunshine Coast. This will end up in Horseshoe Bay as well.

Check the topic : Vancouver Island off beaten track for more "off road" tips, however you have an RV to take care off, keep that in mind !

Also lots of posting on VI on this forum, check them out.

As for Whistler: if 25 behind your name indicates your age, I would definitely do Whistler and stay for a few nights, lots of young people, (lots of Aussie too), great outdoor activities, like the downhill biking (take a day lesson) or mountainbiking. Also great hiking (on top of Whistler, easily spend a full day, or do an overnight trekking) or in the area, bungyjump or Ziptrek. Also lots of patio's, bars and clubs to check out.

Check out www.whistler-blackcomb.com or click my name and see my postings.

BTW: you have not mentioned which time of the year you are coming over. This might be important as roads, campings, or activities could be closed certain times of year.

Have fun !

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Canada

The information I am receiving is fantastic. Thank you so much for your time.

Now.

If we (4 of us)were now thinking of The Inside Passage BC ferry ride to Prince Rupert as part of our trip,(as many have now suggested we have plenty of time in our proposed itinerary)in June or July, which of the 2 options would you consider advisable?

1. Fly from Vancouver to Prince Rupert, stay overnight, ferry back to Port Hardy, stay overnight, then return to Vancouver and RV from Vancouver to Jasper, Lake Louise etc via say, Kamloops returning via maybe Waterton Lakes.

2. Put the RV on the BC ferry at Port Hardy, get off at Prince Rupert, and continue on to Prince George, Jasper, Lake Louise etc in this direction and beyond to say, Waterton Lakes.

If you can understand all this...good luck...but again, I do appreciate the input.

Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Canada

Hi Geoff25,

I would say go for option 2 as that gives more of a flow to your itinerary, also more conventient, you can start your tour right away and do Tofino as well.

I know it is expensive to put the RV on the ferries, but flying to Prince Rupert, transportation from Port Hardy back to Vancouver needs to be paid also. Plus you can't do other stops on Vancouver Island.

BTW you have to make reservations for Inside Passage, not allowed without.

BTW this will leave Whistler out of your itinerary ??

Have fun !

9. Re: First time in Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 03:17