We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Help!

Hi

We are a fit and active family of four, kids are 10 and 12, visiting the Vancouver area for two weeks from the middle of July.

We have the first week organised , with accomodation, outbound ferry etc booked near Tofino,a car for the duration etc, but we are struggling with the second week

We need to spend two nights of part of this week in Kamloops with relatives, but it does not matter if at the beginning midddle or end of the week. I would be greatful if anyone can recommend an circulatng itinery.

We would like to fit in rafting, wildlife, some fishing, etc... we are all fly fishermen, possibly some riding, but not anywhere that is too "resorty" which probably rules out Whistler.

Also , would we be better trading in the car for a RV for that week, and what would peoples' thoughts be on campsites and booking for them, or should we stick to the car/motel thing.

Additionaly does anyone have a view of the swimming with Salmon activity on Vancouver Island near campbell river...I am hearing mixed messages on it and the aera?

Many thanks

Ian

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!

Have a look @ a map of Highway 99, driving up past Whistler into the mountains and the Anderson Lake/Bralorne/Gold Bridge/South Chilcotin country puts you in striking range of Kamloops and offers almost everything else you're after.

There are small campgrounds tucked away and even a few small bling resorts but the whole area is quite remote and relatively unknown.

My advice is to take the RV and live outdoors you'll love it.

Returning from Kamloops look to the Merrit area for some outstanding Trout fishing-in some unlikely places.

www.flybc.ca

The Salmon swimming in CR can be great or not depending if the Salmon are in the river-it's quite a short trip and that may put some people off especially if the operator only offers one float for the money.

This is a Pink Year-every second year the Pink Salmon run returns in numbers-July is a bit early but there's always something to see.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!

http://www.snorkelwithsalmon.com/ July is as SamSalmon says, a bit early - mid Aug is more likely to have the pinks returning.

There are a plethora of lakes around Merritt and Princeton areas perfect for fly fishing. Some of them you wouldn't get an RV into, but many you can.

You may want to get all your holidaying done at your leaisure, then spend the last couple of nights with the relatives. It's only a 4 hr drive back to Vancouver from Kamloops.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,990 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!

Here's something else to consider - drive up island and take the Discovery Coast ferry across to Bella Coola, then drive across to Williams Lake and back down to Lone Bute, across to Little Fort and down to Kamloops. If you go this route, keep the car and stay in fixed-roof accommodation.

http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/discovery/

bcadventure.com/adventure/…tweeds.htm

Now, I will argue with Sam about some things ( ;> ) , but he is absolutely the best resource here for fishing, so I won't presume to talk about where you might fish.

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!

Thanks everyone for their thoughts, boy, are are many options!

The inland discovery passage had its real attractions, but maybe too much time in a car for a holiday for the kids.

We now are consdering bit of a mix invloving shortish journeys, perhaps crossing to powell river from the island and then running down the sunshine coast, then up the 99 to Kamloops for the penultimate night then back down to Vancouver via the other route. We will have to do this in a suv now as we will not be going back to vancouver to swap for a rv after we leave Tofino..

So again fellow tipadvisors I request your assistanceadvice, we have between the 22 and 29th to do this trip. Any recommendations where to go and fit in the rafting and trout fishing (my son is desparate for a cutthroat), and where to stay?

Many thanks

Ian

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!

There are lots of rafting options. This one is near Kamloops and provides overnight casual lodging http://www.kumsheen.com/

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!

<<We now are consdering bit of a mix involving shortish journeys, perhaps crossing to powell river from the island and then running down the sunshine coast, then up the 99 to Kamloops for the penultimate night then back down to Vancouver via the other route.>>

In how many days?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,990 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!

I"m heading out with Reo Rafting TODAY!! Yipee (sorry, kids-free ladies weekend - just can't wait!) It all looks good on the website. I'll report back when my hangover lifts. ;> The video on the website is very appealing:

http://www.reorafting.com/

This is out of Boston Bar, in between Hope and Kamloops on Highway 1, so not really on your proposed route unless you make time for it on your way down from Kamloops.

I think your plan of going back via the Sunshine Coast is a nice one, the up through Whistler and around to Kamloops.

How much do you like to hike? Joffre Lakes is amazing, but probably a bit too much to expect a 10 and 12 yr. old to get up to the 2nd lake. The first lake is only a few minutes from the road and really beautiful.

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…

What else. Hat Creek:

http://www.hatcreekranch.com/

Skookumchuk Narrows

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…

I like your route. A nice trip.

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help!

Hi Sam

We leave Tofino on the 22nd July and are due in Kamloops on the evening of the 27th, so 6 days 5 nights,then two nights there, than back to Vancouver for a final night.

Ian

9. Re: Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2009, 05:16