We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kamloops or Quesnel?

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
Kamloops or Quesnel?

Hi! I'm organising a trip through Alberta and British Columbia, and looking for a place to stop off between Jasper and Whister/Vancouver. The two main candidates seem to be Kamloops and Quesnel. We might stay just for the one night to break the journey or maybe two, and spend a day there, if there are enough things to do and it's a nice place to be.

So, if anyone has any advice about which is a better place for a brief visit, that would be wonderful! Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,323 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kamloops or Quesnel?

Hi there,

Kamloops' pop is 86,000. Quesnel's is 9900. Kamloops will have more to offer city wise. Quesnel is more outdoors. It is a 1h50min drive from Quesnel to Barkerville which is a living museum of a gold mining town from the second half of the 19th cent'y. IMO, with visitors from Ireland, I would opt for the living museum. (Even Judge Begbie is in court (an actor, but the "Hanging Judge" seems very real).)

www.hellobc.com : search for Kamloops, Quesnel

www.barkerville.com

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kamloops or Quesnel?

Agree with Mufti - I'd go with Quesnel over Kamloops any day.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kamloops or Quesnel?

We stopped off in Quesnel in 2007 and visited Barkerville for a day. Great fun! They've really done a good job with it.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kamloops or Quesnel?

Ditto Quesnel over Kamloops...you do realize that you will be going somewhat out of the way as you will need to go up to Prince George then down to Quesnel..or backtrack up 97 to Quesnel. Have only heard good things about Barkerville.

check www.drivebc.com for distance calculator, maps etc

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,323 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kamloops or Quesnel?

Are they coming from Jasper?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,323 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kamloops or Quesnel?

Oops, learn to read, Mufti

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,323 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kamloops or Quesnel?

Well RicharD, my memories of a great trip in this part or the province are flooding in. I know you're just making decisions and I'm way ahead of you ... but here goes.

Hwy 16 (the Yellowhead Hwy) from Jasper to Prince George is spectacular but unpopulated, long stretches of pure scenery. And moose that are sometimes on the far side of the open fields close to the safety of any wooded areas. You would not have to go into PG, unless you wanted to, as there is a bypass highway, before you reach the city, for turning south.

You could even pack a lunch for the journey and stop in Purden Provincial Park.

If you decide on this route, or even if you're just trying to decide, it might be worthwhile preparing a bit with regard to places along the way. It would give you some context. The following website would give you some resource material to help you enjoy the way: www.britishcolumbia.com

Just type in the place name in the search bar:

Mount Robson, Mount Terry Fox, Tete Jaune Cache, McBride and Purden Lake Provincial Park.

We used to look for foreign license plates on road trips, but here you look for and count moose.

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kamloops or Quesnel?

Thanks for the replies, guys! We are coming from Jasper, but I figured if we went to Kamloops we'd come south on the 5 / 5A, instead of going up to Prince George (which we would do if we went to Quesnel).

Using Google Maps which picks the optimal route in either case, Jasper to Whistler via Quesnel is 1001km, but via Kamloops it's just 740km. So for distance Kamloops is best but I'll definitely consider Quesnel more because of what you've all told me. :)

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kamloops or Quesnel?

Neither Kamloops nor Quesnel would be the highlights of the route you are going to take. Which way are you taking to the Rockies? I would prefer the route via Kamloops. Kamloops isn't an amazing town but either is Quesnel. The highlights along the 5/5A (Kamloops route) include: Wells Gray Provincial Park …gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…wgcorridor_brochure.pdf - which is stunning, Mount Robson …gov.bc.ca/bcparks/… Mount Terry Fox,

Though Barkerville is lots of fun. Either route will be beautiful. I just don't want you to think that Kamloops or Quesnel itself will be the highlight.

Another suggestion would be to stay in Clearwater/Wells Gray. This does make it a long drive to Whistler but you could stay in Clearwater 1 night and then stay somewhere closer to Whistler the 2nd night.

But actually driving from Quesnel to Whistler (approx. 535km) is still further than staying in Clearwater (approx. 420km drive to Whistler).

Here is a post with some thoughts similar to yours: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g182209-i5543-k180…

Kamloops
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kamloops or Quesnel?

When are you travelling??

A few events in Kamloops are worth seeing in my humble opinion.

Kamloopa Pow-wow >> July 31 to August 2

http://www.kib.ca/powwow.htm

Every evening for the summer at Riverside park is a free concert

Music in the Park >> www.kamloops.ca/events/musicinthepark.shtml

More stuff too numerous to mention

tourismkamloops.com/events_showEvents.html

World class trout fishing

World class mountain bike trails

Many people just drive to go elsewhere and never really stop to see what actually goes on in this community, pity. That's what happens when a bi-pass route is constructed to get people through a community, oh well.

Hope this peaks your curiosity.

Enjoy your trip

PS you will gain one hour at the BC/Alberta border.