We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top day hikes

California
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Top day hikes

Vancouver, Vancouver island and Whistler are all packed with trails. If we are not afraid of steep/hard hikes and love great views and diversity, which top day hikes should we choose?

Lets say 2 in and around Vancouver, 2 in Vancouver island (Victoria?) and 2 in whistler...

Thanks in advance!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top day hikes

Stawamus Chief out of Squamish.

trailpeak.com/trail-Stawamus-Chief-near-Squa…

California
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Top day hikes

Vancouverite67, this hike sound absolutely amazing! We will definitely look for a nice day and do it!

Any others that are recommended out of Vancouver or the island?

Thanks again!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top day hikes

It's an incredibly tough climb, but if you are up to it, the rewards are worthwhile. I have to confess that we have only attempted the slightly lower Shannon Falls trail, and I have yet to have a go at the summit, but have heard many terrific things, so I'm confident about recommending it.

The lower section is a steep grade staircase. You are basically going vertical, or close to it anyway.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top day hikes

trailpeak.com/trail-Hkusam-Mt-near-Campbell-…

trailpeak.com/trail-Elk-River-Trail-near-Cam…

www.vancouverislandabound.com/northhike.htm click on the Strathcona Park link.

Ripple Rock Trail

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top day hikes

My sister and I (in our mid-late 20's) brought our father (in his late 50's, but active) to hike the Stawamus Chief on Father's Day. I can highly recommend it!

It can be a bit of a brutal climb as it's steep, but the trail's in good condition. It takes about 40 minutes to climb up to where it splits between the first peak and the second peak. The second peak is MUCH more challenging (many more chains, ladders, and vertigo-inducing experiences). First peak has the better view and is actually easier, but still a physical climb - you'll be using your hands and you'll be feeling it in your legs, especially on the way down!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top day hikes

40 minutes? Are you sure? We spent about 5 hrs just doing the Shannon Falls section, which peals off to the right after a fair bit of climbing. I'll confess I've not been any higher, and maybe this was at the top of the worst bit, but I got the impression that there was still a ways to go. (This goes to the top of Shannon Falls, I don't mean the touristy bit at the bottom)

For something gentler, I really enjoy the walk to Killarney Lake in Crippen Regional Park on Bowen Island. I really enjoy taking the short ferry trip across to Bowen, and I like the forest in that park - more maples and ferns than the dense coniferous forest you get on the north shore.

The other one that I have done is Diez Vista around Buntzen Lake. This is near Port Moody, east of the city. This gives some great views back across Indian Arm towards the city. It's about 5 - 6 hrs. (Took me 8 the first time, but I was with a group who stopped to snack and rest at all 10 vista points, so it was a slow trip)

7. Re: Top day hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2010, 05:18