We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing at Silver Star or Sun Peaks?

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing at Silver Star or Sun Peaks?

Hello, I am planning a skiing holiday in late Feb 2010 and can't decide between Sun Peaks and Silver Star. We are a family of four, two boys 8 and 9, blue run skier/boarders, husband intermediate, and myself, advanced intermediate skier.

We skiied Big White and Silver Star earlier this year and loved them, especially Silver Star. Had great ski in/ ski out at Snowbird Lodge, good quality condo, fantastic ski school and liked the village atmosphere. All things we want again.

If I were able to improve on the experience it would be for a larger village with more restaurants, shops, supermarket. Night life is not important and the cost of accommodation isn't really an issue but the quality of skiing/facilites is.

If you have any opinions/ accomm suggestions, I would really appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,145 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing at Silver Star or Sun Peaks?

Just as an aside, are you aware that BC is hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics at the end of Feb? There will be increased security in and out of Vancouver, and I expect travel centres to be congested. This shouldn't have any impact at all on your ski trip, just your transits through Vancouver.

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing at Silver Star or Sun Peaks?

Thank you for the advice about the Olympics. We have been considering the implications and may decide to go to Colorado instead, although, we like Canada alot - are even researching immigrating! (See my other post today if you're interested).

If we stay in BC for skiing we will only transit through Vancouver twice - arriving and leaving - so should be able to weather the congestion. Thanks again.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing at Silver Star or Sun Peaks?

There won't be much of an issue with the Olympics causing delay for you in the Okanagan. Plus you can fly to Kelowna through Calgary and avoid it.

I haven't been to Sun Peaks in awhile, but I preferred Silver Star to it. There are not many ski hills that have large villages other than Whistler or Banff. Fernie is also some what close to town.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
744 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing at Silver Star or Sun Peaks?

I can do a bit of a comparison between all three:

- Sun Peaks has the longest skiing vertical = less time between getting back on the lift

- Big White gets lots of fog

- I think of Big White as being short and wide, you have to ski in a zig zag formation to get between runs

- Sun Peaks also ski in and ski out. Though I'm not sure if all their accomodation is ski in and ski out. The chalet we stayed in was ski in and ski out.

- In my opinion Sun Peaks has the most black diamond runs - a good challende for yourself. But it also has lots of blue runs.

- Sun Peaks also has lots of shopping in the village. Their grocery store is bigger than the one at Big White and Silver Star

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing at Silver Star or Sun Peaks?

Thanks very much for your replies - I think we may give Sun Peaks a try just to ring the changes. Happy skiing to you all!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,920 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing at Silver Star or Sun Peaks?

I know it's a ways from now but plase post a trip report comparing to your experience at Silver Star SS is our family fav but we haven't been to Sun Peaks in years..so would be nice to see it from a visitor perspective

7. Re: Skiing at Silver Star or Sun Peaks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 06:17