We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferrying BC/Inside Passage & Driving to Aiyansh (northern BC

Vancouver
2 posts
Save Topic
Ferrying BC/Inside Passage & Driving to Aiyansh (northern BC

Hi there,

This is my first time posting on TripAdvisor so apologies if I have posted this to generally.

My mum's coming over to visit and is asking me questions which I have no idea how to answer. So, I'm putting this out to you, trusty TripAdvisor...advisors.

1. What do you know about going up the inside passage even as far as Juneaux Alaska? Do you have to catch the bus to Port Hardy on Vancouver Is or do ferries run there from town??

2. "To get to New Aiyanch it seems like you'd have to take the train 146km to The Terrace, then somehow detour up there, a man told us roads are OK and you can hire a car but we haven't checked that out yet. What do you know about the that being OK or plain foolhardy? Do you know what the daylight hours are now up in that area Of BC in Oct and Nov??"

Any advice is appreciated. I think Mum is planning on coming over mid-Oct.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Port Hardy
Port Hardy
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Terrace Beach Resort
Terrace Beach Resort
543 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,395 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferrying BC/Inside Passage & Driving to Aiyansh (northern BC

Hi this1life. It's great to see you here on the BC forum.

The Alaska cruises have finished now until next May. They go from Vancouver up to Alaska.

However, BC Ferries, bcferries.com will take you from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert. You would have to get to Port Hardy at the north end of Van Island.

From Rupert, you could rent a car and get to Terrace and then into the Nass Valley from there.

You could go onto maps.google.ca and enter the place names for the "Get Directions" feature. This would give you a really good idea of travel times. The BC Ferries site will give you all the information you need for departure times from Pt. Hardy to PR.

We change to Daylight Savings Time overnight on Oct 31-Nov 1, so the sun will set somewhere around 5:15-5:30.

This link is from Hello BC which will give you some information about the New Aiyansh region.

hellobc.com/en-CA/…Terrace.htm

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Port Hardy
Port Hardy
Vancouver Island, Canada
Prince Rupert
Prince Rupert
British Columbia, Canada
Terrace Beach Resort
Terrace Beach Resort
543 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferrying BC/Inside Passage & Driving to Aiyansh (northern BC

We drove up Highway 113 (or the Nisga'a Highway) last month (on a day trip from Terrace) as far as the Nisga'a's visitor's centre mentioned in the link that Mufti gave you. The road is on the western edge of Terrace and was paved, as far as we went, although the pavement was broken in places until we arrived at the park entrance, where it became very smooth. I'm not sure of the condition of the road past the visitors' centre. It was a most interesting drive through the park because the scenery was so different from what we normally see in BC.

Here is a link to a blog that Robinsegg, who posts on this forum from Smithers, gave me when we were planning our trip up there. It was very helpful -

…blogspot.com/2006/05/nisgaa-memorial-lava-b…

One caveat - Snow comes early to northern BC. The later you leave it the more likely you are to encounter snow on this drive and I am not sure of what the plowing situation is like. I would be very hesitant to do the drive in November, and perhaps even in late October. I am told by people we know in Terrace that there is already new snow on the mountains surrounding Terrace. So, please exercise some caution in your planning.

Have a look at the "History" part of the Environment Canada website to see what the weather in that area has been like in years past -

weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/…bc-80_metric_e.html

Mentioned in this post
Terrace Beach Resort
Terrace Beach Resort
543 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Smithers
Smithers
British Columbia, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30,185 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferrying BC/Inside Passage & Driving to Aiyansh (northern BC

Also take a look at the schedule for the Alaska ferries that run from Bellingham. It would be much easier and cheaper to get to Bellingham than up to Port Hardy.

http://www.ferrytravel.com/

This appears to be an aggregator site, but I can't find any thing else that looks like an actual Alaska ferry website.

Mentioned in this post
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Port Hardy
Port Hardy
Vancouver Island, Canada
Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferrying BC/Inside Passage & Driving to Aiyansh (northern BC

This link http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml or maybe this one www.ferryalaska.com (they might be one and the same) should be what you are after.

You can get to Port Hardy by bus from Vancouver, then take the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert, then the Alaska ferry from Prince RUpert to Alaska.

Mentioned in this post
Port Hardy
Port Hardy
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Prince Rupert
Prince Rupert
British Columbia, Canada
5. Re: Ferrying BC/Inside Passage & Driving to Aiyansh (northern BC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2010, 05:18