We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which would you choose-Glacier or Canadian Rockies?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
167 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
which would you choose-Glacier or Canadian Rockies?

Which would you spend 10 days visiting, Glacier National Park, both in Montana and Waterton, or, Banff, Jasper, and Lake Louise. We enjoy hiking, exploring, wildlife viewing-we are a family with 2 grown daughters. thanks

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,108 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which would you choose-Glacier or Canadian Rockies?

Hi chippie;

How will you be getting from place to place ? It will make a difference in what people suggest.

Best Regards

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which would you choose-Glacier or Canadian Rockies?

I assume we will rent a car, once we fly in to the closest city.

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which would you choose-Glacier or Canadian Rockies?

www.janicestrong.com = get the third edition of her book, prior to making your decision.

Fly to Canadian Rockies International Airport; www.flycanadianrockies.com

Also - www.kootenayrockies.com - information on the "warm side" and less travelled side of the Canadian Rockies.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lussier_Hot_Springs

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which would you choose-Glacier or Canadian Rockies?

You might want to post this on the Alberta forum as well.

Banff, Jasper and Waterton are all in Alberta, rather than in British Columbia, and there are some DEs on the Alberta forum who are probably familiar with Glacier as well.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which would you choose-Glacier or Canadian Rockies?

Glacier is lovely, Banff and Jasper are magnificent and I would concentrate on those. With 10 days, you do have time to swing down to Glacier for a couple of days IMHO, as well.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which would you choose-Glacier or Canadian Rockies?

Sorry, I would fly into Calgary, both are an easy drive away. If you are driving into Montana, make sure your car rental agreement allows you to drive over the border, not all of them do. Happy planning!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which would you choose-Glacier or Canadian Rockies?

Make sure each of you has your US Passport.

You might check with car rental companies to see if you can pick up your car in the US or Canada, and return to the other. Otherwise, it'll be a round trip - but, through lovely country either way.

In 10 days, you can enjoy all of the above. You don't say when your trip is, but you'll want to keep an eye on the Glacier NP website for weather conditions on Going to the Sun Hwy.

You could visit GNP, and some marvelous hikes, over 2 - 3 days, and the balance of your time in the Canadian NPs. Personally, I'd visit Waterton as a drive - through, given the truly incredible beauty of Glacier, Banff and Jasper.

I know you will bring cameras. You might consider bringing good binoculars.

FYI, MapQuest says:

Starting Location, East Glacier, MT

Ending Location, Banff, AB

Total Travel Estimates: 5 hours 30 minutes / 276.18 miles

So, with our very long summer days, this drive is a piece of cake. And you can see why you'll have plenty of time for all of the above.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which would you choose-Glacier or Canadian Rockies?

Several TA posters have recommended a RT from Spokane, WA airport. Curious, I MapQuested and found this information.

From Spokane to East Glacier, to Calgary, Banff and Lake Louise, to Golden and then Spokane...

Starting Location, Spokane, WA

Ending Location, Spokane, WA

Total Travel Estimates: 20 hours 37 minutes / 1066.83 miles

Perhaps too much driving, perhaps not even the best route, especially in Canada, but I'll leave that to you and to the experts up there. But this route sure has lots of beautiful and interesting sights and sites.

Another minus, it cuts 3 days more or less from your trip. A big however - some of the driving is through your goal areas, so you might not have really "lost time". I personally would do this, because it does take you to three excellent destinations, and once there, and given the long days, you'll find you have plenty of time for hiking and exploring.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which would you choose-Glacier or Canadian Rockies?

With 10 days, IMO you don't have time to see it all. I would choose between either Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise OR Banff, Lake Louise, Waterton, GNP. Unless you are really avid hikers (ie: enjoy full-day hikes every day) I think 10 days is too much to spend just in the GNP/Waterton areas.

Also IMHO, Waterton is worthy of more than a simple drive through as someone else suggested!! I would at least spend one night there and take in the Shoreline Cruise on Upper Waterton Lake, at a minimum.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which would you choose-Glacier or Canadian Rockies?

Thank you. I seem to be making a habit of choosing wrong geographical locations. Wonder what that says about me?